Thursday, August 15, 2019

Happy Day to Brea


My niece turned twelve today, and we celebrated with cake and dinner. This kid...she is a hoot. When she was under five, her mother left her with me for swim lessons. She whined and cried and insisted that I take her to the side of the pool. I refused. I told her if she wanted to get to the side she had to swim. I knew she could do it.

She cried. She argued. She cried. I held fast. My daughters and my nephews, who were also in the pool, kept trying to console her. I shooed them away and did my teacher thing. She cried and then argued.

This went on and on until finally she'd had enough and she swam to the steps and climbed right out. The kid avoided me at all family functions like the plague after that. She wanted nothing to do with me for years. Until I was the only one who paid her any attention in a sea of aunts, uncles, and cousins far older than her.

One night at Grammy's house, I taught her some card games. I showed her what to say to the cousins who all considered her a bother. We bonded. She doesn't remember anymore that fateful day in the pool. She loves hearing the story, though. It makes her laugh.

We SnapChat and text and keep in touch despite living a few miles away. She's a cool kid. I get her. She gets me. We have great conversations. I was stoked to celebrate her birthday this year. She's getting to be quite the young lady.


Plus, she pulled in some cool cash for her birthday. Always good to stay on the right side of those who can loan you some money.

Happy Birthday, Brea!

No comments: