Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Remodel 2019 - Madison's bedroom

Madison is home for the next school year while she works on the next step in her future, and first on the list was redoing her room. It hasn't been touched since I redid the room when she was five. It has been an Ariel Little Mermaid room since then, and Madison has steadfastly refused to change it before now. As soon as she uttered the words about changing it, I began stripping the wall border and talking colors.

After running into a blip when the wallpaper refused to be easily removed, we left it for a few weeks. Which drove the husband crazy every time he ventured into the room.

Tom: "When is this wallpaper coming down?"



Madison and I would hem and haw until eventually one weekend we enticed him into the room so that he could see how difficult the paper was behaving. He had plenty of suggestions, all of which we had already done, but being Tom, he knew we hadn't done it correctly.


He began the project of removing the border with the supplies that have been lying around Maddy's room for several weeks and added his own. Eventually, Madison and I joined him, and we spent five hours removing the damn wallpaper border that I must have cemented to the wall eighteen years ago. By the time we called it quits, we were all tired, grouchy, and the walls were mostly done save for the splotches of white paper backing that we could not remove no matter how hard we worked.

Tom: "You'll have to sand that before you paint."

Madison and I nodded and then promptly filed that under the much later category. After Madison had found a color, she wanted. Something she didn't want to do until she'd found a new comforter. Another big step in her life since she's refused to replace the bedding that has been on her bed for the last ten years and is practically thread-bare and see-through.

She spent several days shopping in different stores in the area because she has very sensitive skin and can't handle most fabrics. When that didn't pan out, she shopped online and took a chance. Oh my! Wayfair delivered quickly, and she then gathered some paint samples, but the project went on hold due to my SIL's arrival.

Tom: "What's the status on the paint? Today is a good day to get paint."

Madison's room is visible upon entering the hallway. Since the only daylight hours Tom walks that hall is on the weekends, this utterance came the Sunday after my SIL's departure. Hearing his tone, I knew I had to act. He'd already told us he was not going to do the painting, but I haven't been his wife for twenty-five years without learning a thing or two. Plus, Darcy offered her and her man's services.

A discussion was had on paint colors. When I painted this room eighteen years ago, I painted the ceiling the same light lavender I had painted the room. Maddy wanted to go with a darker color. After an internet search complete with pictures of colored ceilings, we decided to get a sample of the color to try it out. I put the other two to work moving furniture, sanding and taping.



Upon the return of the shoppers, I exalted on my expert painting skills and began supervising. This included nixing hubby's direction, which in turn had him questioning my expert skills. A small disagreement was had, which resulted in him joining the painting project to prove he was more of an expert than me. Sometimes it is just too easy.





Despite my injury, I did have to go beyond supervising. We got one coat applied with another trip in between for more paint before darkness halted the project. That left Madison and me to finish the following day, but we did it even with a loss of electricity at one point. We liked the way it turned out, especially the ceiling.


I'm already making noises about painting the living room.

No comments: