Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Staycation 2019 - Day 4

Early morning rising. Coffee and conversation. Gym. That was the routine and we stuck with that for Tuesday although Susan also would walk the hood and sit by the pool. The girls' summer jobs ended the day before so we found them at the gym too. I sat down to lift some weights and this was my view. I worried after I took the photo that someone would report me but I was ready with the response of: "Listen, I use to wipe those butts!" Thankfully, no one noticed my secretive photography taking.


As we left the gym, Susan insisted I stop at this market where she'd spied a mural. She wanted her photo taken there and I suggested that we pick up Cuban sandwiches while we were there for lunch.

Susan: "What's a Cuban sandwich?"

NEW THING! I pulled over.


We decided to split the sandwich as they were big but then I spied a Greek salad and decided that would go well with the sandwich. Susan told me no. She reminded me of the plan to eat pizza for an early dinner on the beach. I said that I was trying to eat a salad every day. She told me I could have a salad with my pizza at dinner.

A woman standing next to me leaned over and whispered in my ear.

Her: "Wow, she is adamant that you not have that."

Me: "That's because she walks over 10,000 steps a day and doesn't have to worry about eating salads."

Her: "Salads are healthy."

Susan: "We're going to have one tonight. We don't need two."

Her: "You'd better not get it."

I did. But only because Susan relented when she saw the salad. I left the lady and paid for our lunch. We had to step back from the counter to wait for our Cuban to be pressed. We watched the people with their purchases as they strode to the counter. Susan kept up a running commentary on everyone's choices. When the lady arrived, she went right to Susan.

Her: "I'm getting this roasted chicken but it's only half a chicken and I'm getting a side of veggies."

Susan: "Very healthy choice. Good for you. Unlike that guy whose opting for a bag of Doritos. Not a healthy choice."

Me: "I bet our Cuban is going to be ready any minute now just to get you out of here."

Susan: "Well, he is a construction guy. He probably works that off in an hour so I'm going to allow him that purchase."

Sure enough, our Cuban was handed to us and out the door, we went right behind Mr. Construction Guy with his family size bag of Doritos.

Me: "I apologize for her behavior. She's not normally this way."

Susan: "But his week I'm trying new things."

He ignored us as if we hadn't spoken. Susan posed again for another picture. We left for home and enjoyed Susan's first Cuban.


SueG joined us for a pool day where we played volleyball. The Susan Team was beating the Mother and Daughters Team when lightning forced us inside. We showered, picked up SueG's kids, and headed to Clearwater Beach and our pizza place that SueG had never been to before. Not new to Susan, but still new to those of us in the group. From there we walked the beach to the boardwalk and the pier to watch the sun set.




Day 4 in the bag.

No comments: