Saturday, May 16, 2020

Highs and lows of quarantine

Highs-
  • Talking to people, I don't speak with regularly - I've said this before, but this week I spoke with two friends from my job at the city pool, my sister, and my red-haired great-niece who I've only met once. She and her brother have kid messenger--a Facebook thing--, and we've connected. Mainly because I'm wandering around in this house procrastinating when I should be working. We did a video thing Friday night, and she got to meet the other red-headed girls in our family. So cute.


  • Zoom meetings - I mentioned this one before regarding church online, but now I've joined the ranks of others who have meetings via Zoom. Mine was with my monthly writer's group. Oleg hooked me up at my desk with a camera, and aside from one bout of Elliot singing loudly behind me, it went well. We had a guest marketing speaker and followed up with our monthly meeting. It was really nice to see familiar faces.


  • Game Apps - I'm currently hooked on Farmville in the tropics where I own an island and resort. I'm responsible for keeping my guests happy by planting crops, crafting, and filling orders. Occasionally, there are mishaps like monkeys running amok on the island, but I've joined a beach club where I've met a lovely group of ladies from Scotland, Florida, and Michigan.


  • Not having to do all the cooking - I made this a rule when we returned from vacation. Best. Rule. Ever. Who knew Darcy and Oleg could even cook?
  • SGN - If you haven't checked out John Krasinski's You Tube outlet called Some Good News, rush over and do so. It's the best!
  • Lazy Spring Days - We may not have had the Spring vacation we were expecting, but Darcy and I have taken advantage of our quarantine time to pretend we are having it now. The weather is hot, and our pool is perfect, so we roll out of bed and put on our suits for quality tanning hours and reading.


Lows-
  • Sitting - Okay, this isn't anything new for me, but in quarantine, I sit twice as long. There isn't much to do in this house that requires standing other than cleaning, and my tropical farm requires a vast amount of time, and I do this sitting. This week's goal will be to find different furniture and areas for parking my rear.
  • Losing track of days - Thank god for calendars--and each other. If one person doesn't know what day it is, someone else usually does. Once May took over from April, I hadn't a clue what the actual date was until I made an effort to check a calendar. Then, I discovered Mother's Day was approaching and quickly put in my gift requests.
  • Closings - First to fall in our area was Sweet Tomatoes, a restaurant where I once won a year's worth of meals. The buffet restaurant is a casualty of COVID-19, and soon, retail stores already facing trouble will follow--nationally, J.C. Penney's and locally, Bealls. All three are BIG deals in my life--obviously don't call me for recommendations.

No comments: