Friday, May 08, 2020

Out of the mouths of my babes

After the girls left our house for college, I opened any mail addressed to them, and disposed of it properly, either forwarding it to them, dealing with the contents accordingly, or trashing it. They got a lot of junk mail. When Madison returned home, she expressed horror at my opening of Darcy's correspondence, and my excuse did not appease her. Apparently, in her eyes, I was to send any and all mail to Darcy, no matter. 


Today, Darcy received a letter in a non-descript envelope with only an address in the upper left-hand corner. I came into the house, flipping it back and forth as if this would help in the discovery of the contents. It was very official looking, which causes me a bit of anxiety now that both girls are adults. Are they paying their bills on time? Were they caught on camera for something? You know, things like that.


Me: "Darcy, you got mail."


Darcy: "From who?"


Me: "I haven't a clue. It's very official, but there is no return company on the envelope, and since Madison won't let me open your mail, you'll have to deal with it yourself."


She opened the envelope and extracted two sheets of paper, the first, a cover page with nothing but her name, address, and a salutation, and the second, a page and a half of writing. Darcy made a face and chucked the first paper, and then quietly read a bit of the second paper before flipping it over and back like I had done with the envelope.



Me: "What is it?"


Darcy: "Ugh, I don't know."


Me: "What do you mean, you don't know? It's right there in your hand."


Darcy: (whining) I know, but it's too much writing..."



FYI - It was junk mail. 

No comments: