Monday, June 22, 2020

Quarantine day 101


Surpassing the one hundred mark of this pandemic began with a BANG. 

A month ago, our air conditioner stopped running--after hours. During the repair, it was discovered we had a leak. Dye was shot into our five-year-old unit, freon was given, and we were left for a month before the results would be in.  

The month was up last week. We have a leak in the coil, and the quote to repair was $1480. Tom declined the repair, figuring that since the leak is s.l.o.w, it would give him time to shop around. Yesterday, the capacitator went out. Suspicious, yes, but we aren't pointing fingers. 

Because the part is only $15, Tom ordered it online and announced he would repair it himself. Until that happens, we are without our A/C unit. 

In Florida.

In the summer.

Thank god, for the mini splits and the window air conditioner in the Steelers Room. Not so great for the kitchen or our main living areas. Last night, Tom took me outside at 11:00 PM to show me how to turn on the unit if I couldn't handle the heat. It involved sticking one of those paint stirrers given by Home Depot for a paint purchase into the unit and pushing the blade around until it kicked on.

Uh, yeah, no. 

So far today, I've lived in the Steelers Room.

But my morning began with my washing machine, not working. I had an error message with a CL flashing. Reading the manual from front to back, THREE times, including the instructions in Spanish, I found nothing that pertained to my problem. I turned to the Internet. Where I was told, my Child Lock was engaged. I could not find that button on my machine. 

I spent an hour from beginning to end, before I blew. When that happens, one of my children usually comes forth. Madison did, in this case, and she found the lock in two seconds, fixed the problem, and then offered to get me lunch. 

I asked if she could drop off a package at the post office, and I set about readying the box. Doing so entailed printing a label, which in turn overloaded our circuit, and off went, not only the printer but also my window A/C unit in the Steelers Room.

While I ran back and forth between the fuse box in the garage and the Steelers Room, a second A/C repair guy showed up to give an estimate on our first air conditioning problem. 

Him: "I can spend half an hour looking for your leak before I have to charge more money."

Me: "Then stop talking and get to work."

Outside in the Florida summer heat with a mask is MISERABLE, but the repair guy had questions, and I had to act as the liaison between said repairman and husband at work. Doing so did garner information on how to fix the A/C problem in the Steelers Room, and I decided that alone was worth my sweaty body. 

Eventually, the repair guy asked for my help, and I assisted him with his diagnostic testing, holding up the beeping machine while he poked and prodded with a wand inside the air handler.

Me: "You can just knock off my fee as your assistant from the estimate."

He must've done so because he came in at half of the $1480 estimate. That part will be here Wednesday, so by the end of the week, we should have cool air. 

With everything going on in the world, this is minor. In my little bubble we are safe and secure, and believe me, I count my blessings daily. 

Then I complain.

Day 101 and counting...

No comments: