Thursday, January 21, 2021

Bathroom remodel day 2

Nothing in remodeling ever goes right--at least not in our household. On the first day, the water pipes leading to the tub had to be redone. This was due to a remodeling project years ago when pipes in our bathroom floor burst, causing us to repipe the entire house. The plumbing company took the easy way out and added more lines until we had a puzzle of pipes.

These bathroom guys, AWESOME by the way, didn't like the maze of pipes, so they redid it all, spending time not allocated for that. When they left for the day, the head man told me to periodically check the new piping--just in case. 


I did. Periodically that evening, I checked the bathroom and the new handiwork. However, I did not check it that morning before I left for my exercise routine with the neighbors. Anyone guess where this is going? I'm definitely a foreshadowing expert. 

I returned from the walk, the bathroom guys showed up, and my bathroom was completely flooded. NOT from the tub pipe job, but from a clog in the sink. Our sinks almost back up to one another in the two bathrooms, and when Tom shaved that morning--major water waster in the a.m.--the clog caused the water to exit through an exposed pipe in the second bathroom. It completely flooded the room and the construction guys' leather tool bag, containing fifty-seven hundred tools that then had to be dried and oiled.

More time spent not allocated to the job.

It was a nightmare for them. I only had to take towels and mop up the water, and thank my lucky stars that they found it and not me. I'm not sure what I would've done had I opened the door that morning. I thought about doing so but was too concerned about meeting my exercise walking buddies on time. Whew.

I had to call the Big Guy to update him on the problem. He was nonchalant about it and told me to call a plumber. I did and was told someone would be out later in the afternoon. From there, it just went bing, badda, boom. My house was a beehive of activity.

There was the inauguration, which I watched with the construction guys.

There was an issue with Grammy that required multiple phone calls back and forth between family members. 

There was Madison bringing me lunch because she had to take half a day off for a dental appointment. 
Off she went with instructions to pop in on Grammy afterward.

There was Darcy showing up from college because she, too, had a dental appointment.

There was no water since that had to be shut off for the workers to work. 

I mean, it was one thing after another on Wednesday until I didn't know if I was coming or going. 
Luckily, my neighbor offered her toilets and sinks for use, the plumber appeared and pulled out wads of red curly hair from the bathroom pipes, and dinner was a crockpot meal already in and doing its thing. 

When quitting time rolled around, the three of us--the two bathroom guys and yours truly--looked like we had been run over by Mack trucks and hung up wet to dry. Our celebration with the neighbors and bottles of champagne to toast the Biden and Harris administration's beginning was quite welcomed by five o'clock.

There is no way this job will be complete in three days.  

Good thing I never expected that it would.

No comments: