Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Bathroom remodel days 3 and 4

 

Day three began with a request to get into the back of the tub wall. This is done through a boarded-up hole in Madison's closet. To get to that entry, I had to rearrange the furniture just to get into the closet, and then I had to remove hanging clothes, six plastic bins full of crap important things, a sewing machine, and several other various baskets and bins. By the time I was finished, I was drenched in sweat, and Madison's room was cluttered. 

It was a good thing they needed to get into that hole because when they did, we discovered the previous day's flood had also gone into the closet and soaked the carpeting. I retrieved yesterday's now clean towels and proceeded to dry the carpet. The guys set up a large fan, and that sucker ran for thirty-two hours, kicking Madison from her bedroom that night. 

Also, on day three, we discovered that the backing of the new vanity didn't line up with our sink piping, so my guy added another repiping project to his list, and I did everything possible to see that they were comfortable, offering sandwiches and drinks and a few stories every hour or so. 


By day four, the three of us were good friends.


They really kicked it up a notch on Friday. Then, the problems were minor ones that we solved together, and by five-thirty, the job was complete. They made me go back through the bathroom as we had done the first day, and I couldn't contain my excitement. He had sloped the window ledge so that water wouldn't pool and mold, and he hid the piping (that used to collect dust between the toilet and sink) in the wall--little details for sure, but very important ones to me that he did on his own.


Me: "Wow. I can't tell you how excited I am at this bathroom. Mainly for the angled window ledge, but also for the finished room. It really looks awesome!"


Him: "So, now you're going to tell your husband he was right?"


I conceded that one. 


Tom was right. The bathroom needed to be redone, and it looks amazing. Madison and I will add the finishing touches with a shopping trip because, as I told Tom, if we're going to do the job, it should be done right, and we need new lighting and a new mirror, and new wall plates, and new towel bars, and a new shower curtain pole and hooks, and...

No comments: