Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Mark my words

Darcy and I were running errands for our big New Year's Eve blow-out when the light, the dreaded light from August 2018, in my van lit up, and some stuttering began every time I slowed down. It's the fuel pump indicator light, and when we made it safely home, my husband drove the car to prove I wasn't--what? Making it up? He decided to wait until after the new year to take it in to get it fixed. Which he did.


When he called to tell me the van was ready, he was vague about its problems. Now, I'll be honest here. I don't like dealing with car issues. I don't understand the mechanics of a car, and mechanics sense that as soon as I'm spotted. I feel I'm taken advantage of, and I hate it. I prefer to leave the dealings of car mechanics to men. Sexist, yes. But that's on how mechanics see women, not me. Or, at least it is in my head. But, Tom's response was something along the lines of nothing, vague, take it into Honda as it is a recall, vague, I'm busy. What I got from him was that the fuel pump indicator problem was a recall from Honda that would need to be fixed.


When I picked up my car from the mechanics (and I do like these two guys that run the place), he told me there was no charge as it was a recall from Honda. Now, yes, I should have stood there and shaken my head and said, "What?" But I didn't. All I heard was no charge, and I ran. The light was not on in my van, and it ran like a dream.


Me: "Did they fix the recall part?"


Tom: "No, only a Honda dealer can do that."


Me: "But the car works fine, and the light is off. And these guys told me no charge because it was a recall. I mean, what did they say to you?"


Tom: "That it was a recall, and we need to call Honda."


I called Honda. I gave them my VIN number and was told there was nothing wrong with my car, according to the number. No recall. I told him how I had the light. I told him I took it to a mechanic. He told me something along the lines of some parts are used to fix problems, and the numbers don't match. He indicated I was good to go. 


Tom: "Okay, then."


Me: "Okay, then? How is this okay?"


Tom: "He told you it's good."


Me: "But that doesn't make sense to me. Did the mechanic fix the problem? Problems don't just disappear."


Tom: "Take it into Honda if you want, but it sounds to me like it's fixed."


Me: "By who? A mysterious fairy?"


Tom: "You worry too much."


Uh-huh. Mark my words. This isn't over...

No comments: