Thursday, February 23, 2023

The forgotten note

For Christmas, I received the gift of a monthly handwritten letter from a stranger. A pen pal! Her name is Katie, and she's from Pennsylvania. My first note arrived before Christmas, and she even sent me a postcard after Christmas from her vacation in Florida. February's note was about the Eagles and how her hometown was very excited, although she is not much of a football person. 


Oh, well. She likes to send little notes inside the envelopes. Sometimes I get a poem. For February I got hearts. She updates me on the weather, or gives me history on her town, or tells me interesting things she and her husband do like dancing to 1920's music at a speakeasy. It's a cool thing and a very different gift.


I liked the idea so much, I'm doing it for my BIL. Surprisingly, and I know readers of this blog will be shocked NOT, but I forgot to get a card out to him for his birthday. Thinking it through, I thought why not do this for him? Send a little handwritten note each month, filling him in on my life or whatever catches my fancy. 

It was hard. It's been ages since I've written a letter to someone. Remember those days? My PA friends and I wrote letters all the time - probably because our mothers made us. But, I had to dig deep to have things to talk about. I'm used to blogging or writing fiction. Updating and creating something worth reading? Not so easy. Yet, I am determined. 

I haven't a clue whether he is enjoying it. But, I am. I like taking time out of my day to jot a note, and I'm getting solid use of note cards my mother owned. 

Here's to bringing back letter writing! Watch out. I may just send you something!

No comments: