Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Day 4 - Breckenridge, CO


Today we dropped off the girls at ski school, layered up, and walked into the village to explore. We'd had two inches of new snow in the night, and it was easy for walking.

It snowed as we started out, and it got worse as we walked. The wind picked up and blew the snow off the roofs and trees and mingled with the falling snow to cover us as we walked.


As soon as we got on to the village path, the three men began acting like children. They threw snowballs and pushed one another into the snowdrifts on either side of the sidewalk.

Clint got me good in the back of the neck, and the wet snow reached inside my coat and shirt and down my back. I attempted to get him back, but my snowballs weren't award-winning, and he'd dodge perfectly when I launched them.

I bided my time, however. I know how to defeat the enemy.

Later, walking in the village, he ended up behind me, and I made my move, whipping around to hurl a handful of snow. It landed right in his face.

Ah, payback is sweet.


The village was full of quaint shops selling a lot of art, glass, and ski equipment. I wouldn't say it was the typical tourist trap at all. We did find Clint's Bakery, a place that our Clint had read about, and we went in and sampled some of the baked goods and coffee.

We walked most of Main Street and visited a few shops while the wind blew and the snow continued to fall. Dick hiked back to the condo and left the three of us to eat lunch in a Mexican restaurant. We downed margaritas and chips and salsa and eventually hiked over to peak 9 to pick up the girls.





The girls' last day of ski school was a good one. Apparently, not many children showed up in the snowy weather, so they were together with a red-haired teacher who took them down the mountain multiple times,  trying different things. They were given a report card. Darcy made it to Level 3 and Madison Level 4....whatever that means.


We hiked back to the condo and ate a magnificent feast of chicken parts, potatoes, and veggies prepared by Uncle Dick.

A non-ski, relaxing day for the adults while another day of the slopes for the kids.

Win-win!

No comments: