Sunday, February 14, 2010

Looking for some winter wear

Florida has been cold since December. We've had a handful of days in the '70s, which is unusual. In the umpteen years, I have lived here it has never been this cold this long. We've even had had freezing temperatures in the twenties. Farmers are loosing their crops. The winds have been crazy, the kind of horrible, biting winds that cut right through the body. My cheeks have been permanently red for days and it isn't from sunburn.

This Friday it snowed in northern Florida.

My Steelers jacket has gotten more wear out of it than ever before. My youngest daughter finally pulled her ski jacket out of the bin in the closet because her other jackets weren't keeping her warm enough. We live in jeans and sweaters instead of shorts and T'shirts. Our grass is brown. Our trees are brown. Our fruit is frozen. We could ice skate on top of our pool...okay maybe a slight exaggeration.

Today I went into Target to buy my oldest daughter long pants. She hates wearing jeans so she wanted some long exercise pants or sweats. Instead, we found bikinis, shorts, flip flops and swimsuit cover-ups. We searched frantically on the clearance rack to no avail because everyone in Florida had been there ahead of us and snatched up what winter clothes were once available. Usually, I'm whining about the sweaters that are sold. This time I'm whining because I can't find any.

Our friends and relatives in the north hate our griping. They know the cold weather won't last. We know it won't last. We know that soon the warmth will be back. We even know we will bitching about the heat come summertime. But for now, while we are slowly freezing in the south for the third month in a row, could we at least get some long clothing?


1 comment:

Susan said...

Aww...like music to my ears...sorry, but if we have to have cold, wintery weather during these months so should you:))) Unless we are headed that way of course:))) Try LandsEnd!!!!