Friday, June 04, 2010

Hanging with kids now that summer is here

Me: "Come on Sydney, let's work on our swimming. Put your face in and swim to me."

Sydney: "Sometimes when Alex and I play..."

Me: "Sydney, stop talking. Swim out to me."

Sydney: "When we play I like to frank Alex sometimes."

Me: "Swim Sydney....wait....frank Alex?"

Sydney: "Yep. I like to pull franks on Alex and hide his stuff."

Me: "The word is prank. And right now you are doing that to me by talking and not swimming!"

- - - - - - - - -
Me: (playing Taboo with three teens) "A musk ---"

Heather: "Musk? I don't know what that is."

Me: "We call this thing a musk --- in the midwest. It is quite large and like a water ----"

Heather: "Watermelon!"

Me: "Yes, only this is different than that. Different color. Different size. Quite sweet."

Camille: "Time!"

Me: "Ah!"

Camille: "You should have just sung the song Home on the Range."

Me: "?"

Camille: "Home on the Range"

Me: (singing as I'm laughing) "Home, home on the range...where the deer and the canteloupe play??? I believe the word you are looking for is antelope, Camille."

------------
Me: "Swim Sydney!"

Sydney: "We should go to a hotel."

Me: "I'm going to make you walk to a hotel if you don't put your face in the pool and swim."

Sydney: "I will walk there. I will walk, or fun, or hop, or skip."

Me: "You don't want to drive in a car?"

Sydney: "Silly! I'm not old enough to drive."

Me: "You could ride in a car."

Sydney: "But then I wouldn't get any exercise."

Me: "You could exercise by swimming to me."

Sydney: "I could get exercise by carrying my suitcases while I walk to the hotel."

Me: "What if it rains?"

Sydney: "I would use my umbrella."

Me: "How can you carry your umbrella if you have suitcases in your hand?"

Sydney: "I would hire someone to hold my umbrella!"

Me: "Swim Sydney!"

Sydney: "I could swim to the hotel."

Me: "I give up!"

Sydney: "Yeah...right!"

1 comment:

Susan said...

I love it! Sydney sounds a lot like Gabby when she was little... only nicer:)

Can't wait to come down...I hope we still get too:((