Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day 4 - Costa Rica

The hotel is quite spectacular in foliage and beauty. The area of Arenal is mainly tourists and therefore more Americanized then I would like. We lucked out and got in the group that was assigned small bungalows built back from the main building into the forest. Our bungalow is the last one in the row and quite secluded. It is made of wood with a high ceiling and quite spacious considering some of the other accommodations. There is air conditioning thank goodness that I thought wouldn't do much when I first saw it and turned it in, but I was pleasantly surprised and quite chilled while I slept. The bathroom is large with a deep purple toilet and huge walk in shower big enough for the entire family. We have a large front porch with table and chairs and two rocking seats. Unfortunately, being deeper into the woods means more mosquitoes and so we didn't enjoy the porch last night. The floor is all tile and clean. The beds, however, are cheap with a small mattress and thin sheets with holes. The spread is quite worn and not much comfort in the air conditioned room at night. Not complaining though after seeing where others are spending the two nights.

We had to be up by 7:00 this morning for breakfast. The kids were to be ready to board the bus by 8:00 to head to the local school to spend the morning and early afternoon with the kids. Parents were on their own and some ventured to do the horseback riding to the waterfalls. Our group of five decided to go into town as the rain last night had produced a dreary day full of clouds that naturally covered the volcano again. We took a cab into town where we saw the school and toured the very tourist town. We finished just as the sky darkened and went into a cafe for some local dishes and drink right before the rain came pouring down. We had beer, pepsi (the first we have seen here as Coke has the monopoly) guacamole, and avocado ceviche that we all agreed was to die for.

As we finished and needed to head back the rain stopped. We got back to the hotel and joined up with the others. We played with the hotels two parrots that roam free in the outdoor dining area and wandered around. The bus returned with the kids, and I had enough time to kiss Darcy before everyone but two of us got back on the bus and went off to zip line over the rainforest. The quiet was instant and I went back to the room for a siesta, which I discovered Costa Ricans do not engage in. I watched the end of Inkheart while lying on my newly made up bed, and when it was over I peered out my window and saw....THE VOLCANO in all it's glory. It was marvelous. I have been sitting poolside since then with a wonderful view of the volcano while blogging. As I started this entry, the clouds have moved back in and the volcano is invisible again. I hope Tom and the girls got to see it wherever they may be.

The rain is about to hit again so I shall head to the bar to search for the other zip line
reject. The group should be back soon. We have dinner on our own tonight and another four hour bus ride to our next destination tomorrow. I'm hoping for a volcano eruption tonight, but it has been five months since the last one so I'm told not to hold my breath. As I blog, around me is the volcano in front, wandering cows to my right, pineapple plants behind me, and all sorts of colorful flowering plants to my left. This hotel is in the middle of beauty for sure.

Adios!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Sounds wonderful!!! So glad you are having a great time:)) Can't wait to see photos!! :))