Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Post election blues

I woke up this morning and felt, when asked, relieved.  The day before I had felt so patriotic.  I am one of those people who like to go to the polls on voting day.  My mother and my husband voted early by mail and they warned me of long lines and waits, but I didn't care because I love the whole experience of getting out among the people on the day.  My neighbor and I went together and voted and we didn't encounter long lines, but we did catch up with other neighbors we don't see often.  I wore my "I voted" sticker proudly and I also picked up one for my younger daughter who in the past has always gone with me. It was an American kind of day and I was thrilled to have been a small part of it.

Then this morning came.  I quietly went about my day, but couldn't escape the news, the social media sites, or the people.  I was shocked at the level of hatred directed at those who did not share the same beliefs.  Where we had the day before been one as patriots out orchestrating our rights as citizens we were now back to opposing sides, finger pointing, and doom.  Which makes me wonder how we can expect the people who lead us to work together for our good if we can't seem to do that ourselves.

I read a few blogs each day.  This entry on my favorite blog Girls Gone Child said it all.  It shouldn't matter who we voted for or whether we agreed with one another or not.  What matters is that we have the choice.  We have the right to get out to make our choice and to have it be counted.  And differences between friends?  It shouldn't matter.  We have the responsibility to not let our differences change our relationships because how we behave is being watched by the little ones.  Read the entry.  It is that good.

No comments: