Sunday, December 02, 2012

Sunday football picks - week #13

Last Week - 10 - 6
Overall - 114 - 62

Houston over Tennessee -  The Titans are having issues. The Texans aren't.

Chicago over Seattle - I went with Chicago on this one, but Seattle is playing some decent ball right now.  This should be a good game. 

Indianapolis over Detroit - I'm not sure why I chose the Colts as this is an away game for them and the Lions aren't the team of old, but are scrappy and feisty like their coach.  But I had a gut feeling, and I'm betting on Andrew Luck and my old Steelers offensive coach Bruce Arians.

Green Bay over Minnesota - The Vikings started out strong surprising everyone by creeping along while the Packers started slow and struggled.  Now the situations are reversed and since Green Bay is coming off of a loss last week I don't see them losing two in a row and certainly not to the Vikings.

Carolina over Kansas City - Cam Newton is on fire and out to prove he can motivate and lead this team.  The Chiefs are, well, they are this year's Detroit Lions.

San Francisco over St. Louis - The interchangeable quarterbacks team is on fire right now and coach Jim Harbaugh, who former teammates said would have never taken being replaced as quarterback for the Colts quietly, is going with what is winning him games easily.  The Rams are a sometimes sometimes not team and I don't see them pulling off an upset.

Jets over Arizona - Ah, maybe I'm feeling sorry for the Jets and coach Rex Ryan.  I just think Arizona doesn't know what they are doing right now running around like cardinals with their heads cut off.  So I picked the Jets.

New England over Miami - The Dolphins don't stand a chance against Brady and Co.

Buffalo over Jacksonville - The Jags won last week after I said they wouldn't, but I'm still not picking them again this week despite their picking up former Eagles defensive end Jason Babin and the 4-7 record of the Bills.

Denver over Tampa Bay - Tampa has to travel.  Freeman has to go up against Denver's defense.  I'm going with Manning at home.

Pittsburgh over Baltimore - How many times do I have to say it?  I don't go against my team.  Despite injuries, penalties, questionable play calls, and lack of fight I still believe.  And I cross my fingers.

Cleveland over Oakland - I don't foresee the fighting game we had last week against the Raiders and the Bengals.  Instead I see the Browns kicking butt to move up the division board. 

Cincinnati over San Diego - Poor Chargers.  Couldn't even help me out last week, could they?  Just win one for a change!  In overtime.  The Bengals, like the Browns, smell a coupe so they aren't planning on losing.

Dallas over Philadelphia - Vick is still out.  The Eagles are getting booed by their fans.  Dallas at home.  Dallas.

Giants over the Redskins - I think this will be an interesting game, but Manning still has ground to make up and he won't want to lose to the exciting rookie.

Ben Roethlisberger out - Did anyone believe he would be in?  The man has a sprained shoulder and a dislocated rib that is quite close to important innards.  Yes, he has played hurt before, but the man is a father and a husband now and his days of not caring what happens to him are over.  I still have my faith in Charlie Ward as our back-up and with the addition of Antonio Brown and Troy Polamalu back in the line-up it should build up Ward's confidence as well.

Fines - A lot of fines were collected by the NFL last week from various players for various reasons.  Fines were levied for fights that broke out during the Oakland/Cincinnati game with five players having to reach into their pockets to pony up.  Other players who drew fines were Houston's J.J. Watt, Chicago's Jay Cutler and Brain Urlacher, Washington's DeAngelo Hall, and a host of others from the Packers, the Panthers, the Saints, the Chiefs, the Ravens, and the Rams.  I'd say something isn't working.

Chiefs Tragedy - Saturday, days after I make my picks for Sunday, Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher allegedly killed his girlfriend and mother of his child and then took his own life after fleeing the scene and driving to the Chiefs facilities at Arrowhead Stadium. The suicide supposedly took place in front of two coaches and an employee. The NFL is opting to go ahead with the Chiefs/Panther game at Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday. While no one is surprised by that many aren't happy including players and I suppose the family of the slain mother. Too bad the NFL can't fine itself for continued stupidity. Sometimes the games shouldn't go on.

Rick Majerus - The former Ball State and Utah basketball coach died yesterday at the age of 64. He came into the bball scene introducing Ball State as a contender and then coaching the University of Utah into the NCAA finals. He had many heart health issues over the years and recently took a leave of absence from his new job coaching at St. Louis. He had a biting and witty sense of humor, especially when directed at himself, but was also described by his players of being a hard ass, at times even cruel. I kept up with him through his years at Utah and watched him some at ESPN, but lost track and interest of him after his former player's comments. Still, hate to hear of his death.

IU - Indiana University's basketball team is number one and fun to watch...when I can get it on my television.  Cody Zeller's hustle and shooting and Coach Crean's enthusiasm is contagious.  Great fun for Hoosiers who have waited years for the team to bounce back to the days of Indiana ball.  Beating North Carolina by 24 points at one time up by 30?  Priceless.

Alabama wins - It is official.  Notre Dame will play the defending bowl champs Alabama for the title next year.  Yep, next year.  Because we need to wring all the money out of the hype that we can.

BJ Upton - The former Tampa Bay Rays centerfielder is now an Atlanta Brave signing for a big five year $75+ deal.  I hate when we lose beloved players.  Upton has played his entire career, all 8 years, with the Rays and while he had his ups and his downs he was one of this fan's favorites.  As in all sports, money talks and loyalty?  That lasts as long as you are with a team.

Bucs - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will celebrate their ten year Super Bowl anniversary win on December 9th at half-time.  Most of the players are returning with Warren Sapp convincing coach John Gruden to get his butt out on the field with the players.  Ah, the glory days.

No comments: