Tuesday, December 04, 2012

The garden of misfits

I have two concrete garden rabbits that were made and given to me by a former neighbor after the death of my father. The rabbits resided in my pool area as lifeguards for years, but time and children and weather eventually caused them to loose their color and their ears. Tom repaired the ears on the large bunny, but recently he lost them again. I made it my project this summer to repair the ears and repaint the rabbits, but like so many of my projects it didn't get done.


When my husband put in our side garden complete with banana and fig tree I added the little rabbit with the missing ears thinking that if I saw it daily it would motivate me. I put his ears on Tom's workbench and told my husband that I was planning to repair and repaint the rabbits. Knowing me well, he obviously did not have faith in this project and the ears disappeared, presumedly in the garbage where my husband likes to throw things that he feels don't belong on his work place. I was concerned the little earless rabbit would soon follow but he has continued to reside in the garden, sitting watch over our flowers and various plants. I think it was because of him that the real mother bunny trusted us with her newborn babies.

Elliot and I talk to the rabbit when we go outside because the garden is a favorite place for Elliot to chase lizards and water the various plants. I tell the rabbit he is beautiful and to ignore what the other concrete animals in the neighborhood might say about his disability. I sometimes wonder if he can hear me without ears, but I just go with the assumption that he can read lips if not.


The last night that I was helping Kelly move from her old apartment to her new one we were hauling out the belongings she was donating to the Salvation Army. We were making a nice pile for the pick-up the next day outside her door and I was checking around to make sure we had everything. I noticed a concrete turtle sitting by a potted palm tree. I inquired as to whether this was her turtle or not and whether he was going with her or the Salvation Army. She informed me it was hers and that she was planning on just leaving him as his mouth was missing a concrete piece. She had repaired him once and he had broken again and she had given up on making him whole again.


I told her that if she didn't want him that I would take him as I had a lovely home for misfit concrete animals in my garden. I reminded her of my earless rabbits and she agreed that he should reside there with them. I picked him up and we drove back to my house where I introduced him to my rabbit. They have been buddies every since. I think he is very happy living here.

No comments: