Monday, April 07, 2014

5 things to start the week


  1. My family is coming into town tonight for a week of sun and fun.  My niece and my SIL are escaping the cooler spring Indiana weather to venture south for their spring break week.  The first few days they will spend residing on the beach because they wanted to experience Florida beach living they didn't want to interrupt our school schedule. The rest of the week will be spent at our house where I think I will get them up at 5:30 a.m. with me so that they will be ready to drive to the beach.  Either way we are excited to see them.
  2. Today I heard on the radio that getting up an hour earlier each morning and spending it outside in the sun will help you lose weight. At first I was all over that. I mean, I live in Florida so we have sun pretty much 24/7 and sitting outside for an hour to lose weight is way easier then lifting weights at the gym. But then I got to thinking exactly what does an hour earlier mean? I get up now at 5:30 and trust me the sun isn't even awake at that hour so getting up at 4:30 surely isn't what the research meant. So then, what constitutes an hour earlier? If I had my way I would get up at 10:00 every morning so does that mean getting up at 9:00 will help me lose weight? I hate when the radio announcers throw this sort of stuff around without clarifying. No wonder I can't lose weight.
  3. My mother is progressing in the strength department in rehab while she receives daily antibiotics through a PICC line. She is slowly shaping up all the employees and has even joined in some of the activities, reading poetry and trying to win at bingo. The foot wound closes a teeny tiny bit each week, but still drains quite a bit. She is in the last week of her 6 weeks of IV antibiotics, and then I suppose she goes home to see if she can continue to fight off the infection. There is no cure, only keeping it at bay.
  4. School is fast coming to a close and I know that summer will race by in a blur. I'm trying to nudge my soon to be college bound daughter into getting together a list of schools to visit, but she is too busy with high school, sleeping, and ignoring the fact that the college application entry date is fast approaching. Those who have gone through the experience tell me to relax and that it will all work out in the end. My youngest just wants to have a summer vacation that doesn't include college visits, but does include spending time with the "boyfriend". I've decided they need to get jobs so they don't spend the whole summer sleeping until noon because by golly, that's what I had to do back in the day. (Insert both girls rolling their eyes)
  5. I have watched both Final Four tournaments this year and so far only one team that I cheered on made it.  Go Notre Dame Women! I've never been a fan of the Connecticut women's team because for some reason I don't care for their coach, Geno Auriemma. I think it has to do with something I heard him say about my favorite coach, retired Tennessee coach Pat Summitt, but seriously I've just forgotten why. But I haven't changed my mind. I root for the women coaches because getting respect for female athletes and coaches is hard enough. Call me sexist. As for the men's tournament, it should be a good game as both teams have big, dominating guys, but I can't cheer for Kentucky players who really aren't interested in college. But how fun will campus be on Wednesday if both UConn teams bring home the wins?

No comments: