Thursday, July 24, 2014

Round up of 2014 Pompano vacation

Best/Worst of Trip 


  • Maddy - (Best) - "Well, I don't really know. I mean what did we really do? We went to the university. We went to the pool. I mean today is the best thing we did. We went out to eat. We swam. We walked around." (Worst) - "The worst thing? All the screaming and yelling that occurred. And the mall! The giant mall and the fact that we didn't do the Barbie Dream House. Oh, and my tummy troubles."
  • Gabby - (Best) - "All of the water activities - going to the beach, swimming. The best meal was my salad at Burger Freak." (Worst) - "The Salt & Pepper Chef! Oh, and the spiders at FAU!"
  • Darcy - (Best) - "The beach! The beach! I had fun last night at the Lauderdale place and at Mulligan's." (Worst) - "Bad mood that went around at times. The Salt & Pepper Chef, all those great reviews and ...."

  • Susan - (Best) - "The beach. All the seafood. And the girl time! I don't get that often with girlfriends." (Worst) - Spiders and the The Salt & Pepper Chef. Oh, and NO CELL SERVICE!"
Maddy would like to express disappointment in everyone being on their phone, despite not having service, when they had the perfect opportunity to put their phones down and enjoy quality family time.

  • Cara - (Best) - "The beach. Running into my relatives. Oh, and my frozen mojito tonight! AND seeing Diane Von Furstenberg (see below)" (Worst) - Those people downstairs by the pool who hogged up the entire area and blocked the bathroom. Driving out of our way to get here. The mall!"
  • Kelly - (Best) - "Access to cable tv. A cool, refreshing pool. Time with all of the girls. Getting Darcy to consider a maxi dress. Buying Flowerbomb for $85. Mulligan's firecracker shrimp." (Worst) - "Poop trouble at the mall. The van being so cold on the way down. The brief, but tense interpersonal moments. Being excited about going to Salt & Pepper Chef based on reviews and then being soooo disappointed at the food and service. No or very little cell service. Sprint sucks!"
Best Line of the Vacation

The last night of the trip we decided to go out to dinner instead of eating in our unit like we had planned. We all showered and got ready. I pretty much had worn the same two outfits the entire trip because we had a washing machine in our unit and I just washed them both to wear again. They were nothing special, none of my clothes are. I was raised in a household where cosmetics and dressing sleekly daily were not part of the equation. I am much more at home and more comfortable in sweats and a T'shirt. I have tried, since having kids, to spruce up my wardrobe some, but I suck at it. Plus, I am not some cute, little thing that just looks good in clothes. I'm big, and lurky and well, better looking in sweats and T'shirts. I always feel inadequate next to my SIS, not her fault, who is cute, perky, and always fashionable.

I dressed in my tan skort and flowery top (see above) that makes me look fatter than I am. Kelly threw on jean capris and her flowery, fushia top from Walmart (see above). Then out came Susan dressed in white shorts and a black, dressy looking tank top with big, dangling earrings and her designer purse, and while she really wasn't dressed up per say, she just looked that way. She always looks that way. (Well, except when she wears her striped green shorts all the time) I use to get on her about dressing so nicely for simple outings, but she can't help it. She has a natural beauty and elegance no matter what she wears (except those striped shorts).

She came out and told us to snap to it. I looked at her and was glad I was at least wearing something close to resembling a skirt. I signed within and waited for everyone else to come out to the living room. One by one they appeared, Kelly bringing up the rear. She took one look at Susan - 

Kelly - "Where are we going? I thought we were just throwing on clothes to eat dinner. Now I have to change clothes. You people can't make up your minds. Are we eating outside or inside? I'm never going to be dressed properly."
Susan - "What? You look fine. Why do you have to change clothes?"
Kelly - "Fine? This isn't fine. I'm in my T'shirt from Walmart for god's sake. I just threw on comfortable clothes. I didn't get all gussied up like Diane von Furstenberg here in her tasteful, designer clothes looking like she is going to a party."

Best picture of the Trip


Our synchronized swimming shot taken by Kelly who came up with the idea in the first place. She was a part of our group until we realized it was picture worthy and she climbed out to get the shot.

Reviews of Restaurants
  1. The Salt & Pepper Chef - 11 points out of 30. The restaurant was a cross between Spanish, Mexican, and god knows what else. Their was a bar with a tv blasting a Spanish channel, very little table seating, and it was very dark. The food was overcooked, dry, frozen, and barely edible. The service was minimal and she referred to all of the woman as "Mamas".
  2. The Burger Freak - 25.5 points out of 30. Delicious! Exactly what it said it was. Tiny, hole in the wall place with only three tables for seating, but decorated with interesting posters on the walls. Tasty freaky sauce.
  3. Mulligan's Beach House - 25.5 out of 30. Maddy feels she shouldn't really be included as she didn't feel well and only ate half of her sandwich. We included her anyway, but I think she means the score might have been higher if she had felt better. Food was delicious. Service was great.
  4. 101 Ocean - 24.5 out of 30. Great frozen drinks. Fountain soda actually tasted like soda for the first time on this trip. Food was yummy. Atmosphere was interesting with all these waterfalls over everything, including the TV.
  5. Kilwins Ice Cream - 26.5 our of 30. Best toasted coconut ice cream ever! Have I mentioned that? My mouth waters every time I think about it. Apparently, Susan has one in her area and she has never been there. Oh, my!
Burger Freak

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Love the pictures. Looks like you ladies had fun and always an adventure! So awesome that you all get together and vacation. It always makes me smile to read about it. You are all so much fun:)