Sunday, April 03, 2016

Bam! I rest my case, yet again.

Tom: "Darcy, I have a puzzle for you."
Me: "Should I set the scene for you?"
Tom: "No, I'll do it. You are working as a tech in a theater, and you are working backstage."
Darcy: "Like I do know...yes..."
Tom: "On the stage, coming from the rafters, are three light bulbs on a wire and they come down from the ceiling halfway so that you can touch them."
Darcy: "Okay?"
Tom: "Now, in another room are three switches. You have to turn on the lights and figure out which switch turns on which light bulb. But you can only go look at the light bulbs one time. How would you figure that out?"
Darcy: "I would tell my assistant to go out to the stage..."
Tom: "No! You are alone in the theater."
Darcy: "Well, that's stupid. Why would I be alone in the theater? That's just creepy."
Tom: "You just are. How would you figure out the puzzle."
Darcy: "I hate these kind of things."
Tom: "Why?"
Darcy: "Because why would I have to figure out which switch turns on which bulb? Why would I turn on one and not the others? Wouldn't I already know this information if I were the stage manager?"
Tom: "I didn't say you were the stage manager."
Darcy: "Well, then I wouldn't take the job."
Tom: "Oh, my god. You and your mother..."
Me: "I told you. Darcy, just figure out the puzzle."
Darcy: "Okay, okay. Uh...I don't know."
Me: "The hint is that you can touch the bulbs."
Darcy: "I know because they come down halfway from the ceiling. Which doesn't make sense actually, and wouldn't happen, because the actors would bump into them on stage."
Tom: "Just answer the question. How would you know which switch turns on which bulb."
Darcy: "I would turn on one switch for a long time and then turn it off. Then I would turn on another switch, but not as long, and turn it off. Then I would got out and touch them and the really hot one would be the first one and the warm one would be the second one and the one that is cold would be the third."
Me: "BAM! See! I told you! I told you we had the same minds. I told you we were wired differently."
Darcy: "What?"
Me: "You answered that exactly the same way I did."
Darcy: "Was it right?"
Tom: "Yes, sort of. You don't have to get the second bulb hot, just turn it on."
Darcy: "Oh. Well, the whole thing is stupid, because no theater has a set up like that, and I wouldn't be in the theater alone. Just sayin'!"
Tom: "I give up."

Side Note: He gave the same set up to Madison later that day via FaceTime. She gave the correct answer, the way Tom answered, just like I predicted. Different brains. Different wires. Same family. Cool.

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Hilarious!!