Monday, November 14, 2016

NFL Monday recap - week #10

I got the Tampa Bay game. No Falcons. The whole television market rights and deals make me nuts. The Steelers were on, however, so I guess I can't complain too much this week, but I would have liked to have seen the Falcons.

Steelers: No matter the score. It was a damn good game for football fans.

  • The first two scores had me thinking how amazing it is that Ben Roethlisberger, after having knee surgery four weeks ago, is back in the line up playing at an elite level. Sportscaster always say #7 is tough, but it's crazy how these athletes do it.
  • Then Ben got tripped, and I thought oh, boy, here we go again, but as he stumbled he got hit from behind, and then to just ram it home, hit again from the front. That hit was an arm to his head that knocked his neck backwards, and suddenly Ben was on his back on the field. He left for one series, and when he came back out on to the field the noise was deafening. It was awesome. I wish I had been there, but I cheered just as loudly at home from my position on the couch.
  • This week was Veterans week where the NFL honors our Armed Service men and women. The Steelers have a veteran, offensive tackle Alejandro Villanueva, who has served three tour of duties. Fox decided to discuss Villaneuva as they came back from a commercial break, and the camera cut to Villaneuva sitting on the bench spitting. Not once, not twice, but an all out spitting tobacco kind of fit. It kind of ruined the moment.
  • Stephon Tuitt and James Harrison combined for a sack on Dallas' Prescott, but the official word is that the sack went to Tuitt who had Prescott around the legs. Had it been awarded to Harrison he would have set a team record. Favorite tweet on that subject: "They're giving that sack to Tuitt. I, for one, will not be informing James Harrison of that."
  • I'm getting tired of the silly game where we start a play during a substitution before the player gets off the field and then the team gets called for 12 players. Run, dammit.
  • Ezekiel Elliott killed the defense and that was the difference. He's Darcy fantasy player so she was happy although, "I always root for the Steelers, but he got me 38 points!"
  • Dudes. This Dak Prescott is the real deal. Best. rookie. ever.
  • Now we will hear the call to fire Tomlin even stronger than last week. Why is it no one wants to yell at the players for not doing their jobs? I agree the coach is a huge part of the game, but frankly, if these guys need someone to coddle them and push them and tell them how to do their job, well, then maybe they aren't the right people for the job. Sigh. All so disappointing.

Other:

  • I get the whole "run to the outside" when snagging an interception, but at some point while running toward that area and seeing it blocked, doesn't the brain think "run elsewhere" and not "run backwards"? 
  • I always shout out respect for the player who once played for the opposition and who then picks off his old quarterback and scores. That's using your knowledge, your eyes, and your revenge.
  • Is Cam Newton a beast or what? His pushing of his body almost ten yards through a wad of muscular defenders and teammates to the end zone was just pure power and strength.
  • Chicago Bear's Kyle Long got taken down awkwardly by his own teammate in the red zone and had to be carted off the field. At halftime during Fox's update, Curt Menfee asked Long's father, analyst Howie Long, how his son was doing, and suddenly the dangerous aspect of the game hit home. As a parent, that is difficult to watch in any sport. Howie didn't give out much, but he did say unfortunately it would be a long term injury. His face, though, was heartbreaking.
  • Crazy play of the day? Jameis Winston scrambling backwards in the pocket, running left, running right, running backwards into the end zone, then out again before throwing the ball 39 yards down the middle of the field to Mike Evans. I was wincing and screeching, and then just staring in awe. Whoop.
  • One of the Buccaneers favorite boys, Mr. Derrick Brooks, called out the Bucs defense this week, and boy, did they answer today. That's what I'm talking about. You want to talk smack about us? Not happening this week!
  • Gee, sorry I didn't get to see the Jets/Los Angeles game. 9-6. I wonder if low scoring games will be a precedent this year. Jeff Fisher's excitement of snapping a four game losing streak and his post game pep talk in the locker room had me snorting. Really Fisher? You scored 9 points. You have a ways to go.
  • I'm just curious. Is there ever a football game where someone is not hurt?

No comments: