Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Daughter #1 First Day


We heard from the first daughter late at night. Her RA job keeps her very busy so she calls at night when her father and I are not as attentive and should have been in bed hours prior. She started school the day after Darcy and had a good first day. Seeing their bright, happy faces makes me feel better about them being gone.

This one has been a big help to the second kid who has contacted her each day thus far to ask a million questions on books, purchases of school related items, and dropping classes. I haven't heard about the latter so hmmmm...but I'm letting the eldest take charge with her vast college knowledge. I just learned that college kids today have to purchase their own test booklets. Back in my day the "blue books" were free, handed out when it was time to be tested by the professor. I didn't even know they were still around, but apparently they are. At UNC they are still "blue books" and cost pennies or a penny I've forgotten. At USF they are "green books" and cost $.83. Learning this information this week, I'm deferring to the first born to help her sister. I'll be here for emotional support and to kiss any boo boos, mentally or physically.

Madison as usual is taking science and math classes that are as high above my head as the clouds in the sky. I sort of nod off when she talks about them unless gossip about students or the professor is involved. Her other classes are usually off the wall, but interesting none the less and I can relate more to those being off the wall myself. I think this semester she is taking Greek Agriculture or Anthropology or some other "A" and only one kid in the class is majoring in that subject. College is SO different from my day.

I'm glad they have started off the year full of excitement and are negotiating their lives. Now if only I could do the same...

No comments: