Tuesday, August 01, 2017

The travel itch

I'm getting into this whole travel thing. From New York I had three days recovery before heading off to Orlando. I have three days recovery from that and I'm off to North Carolina to help Madison move into her dorm. I like no household responsibilities, focusing on one task at a time and leaving the worries of home life behind. I could get use to this life. When I made said comment, hubby began a tirade regarding the things needed to be accomplished here at home including painting, resealing the deck, and something else that I've already forgotten. In my head I thought, "Another reason to travel....".

I'm going into the empty nesting with a positive attitude. I have to or I think I'll fall apart. Looking back, I see what it did to my mother. She use to tell me to make sure I had something to fall back on and now I understand that. She fell apart. I'm grasping at the volunteering and the writing, but I'm also opening up to traveling in short spurts. I want to catch up on visiting friends I haven't seen in years, reaching out to people I love and touching base before it's too late. As we know, life can be short and I'm tired of regrets.

Hubby has many excuses for not joining me. There is always the work issue despite having to sell vacation time every year. There is the fact that he isn't interested in delving into my nostalgia any more than I am in jumping into his, although I'm more open to doing so. Then there is the dog who isn't a car traveler. If he were, I'd toss him in the van and put some miles on it. Ah, the roadblocks. But I'm determined to run through those like a linebacker on a football field. I'll just take it slow. Otherwise hubby might find he enjoys being left behind with his son...

I'm making a list of where I want to go and why. My brother left this morning with his son to drive cross country to California. I told him to take the time to smell the roses and see some things. "You know," I texted, "have that trip out west that you talked about, but never did." (I'm still jabbing even as I age.) I wanted to send a list of things he needed to see, but that was too mother-like. Instead I'm concentrating on my own list.

  • Alaska
  • From one end of Indiana to the other
  • Pennsylvania
  • Steelers game?
  • North Carolina for Thanksgiving?
  • Visit new Wyndhams
I suppose I should ask permission before popping in, but then I decided I want to see people whether they want to see me or not. That's a beware to readers who might be in or near these areas. Hey, I'll buy the dinner. Or the Starbucks.

2 comments:

Jay Brewer said...

A visit to Boston...:-P

Unknown said...

come visit us in chicago!!