Friday, August 11, 2017

Internet funny

My SIL, who understands my connection to my birthplace better than anyone, sent me a post on the Undying Habits that Prove You Can Never Take Indiana Out of Hoosiers. How right they are on a lot of it.

  1. Believing that all corn should be fresh - I'm not sure other than once in a blue moon have my children ever eaten canned or frozen corn in my house. They've barely eaten Florida fresh corn, and if asked they will tell you it sucks compared to Indiana sweet corn. My mouth waters just thinking about Indiana corn picked from Maize Farm in the summer time. One of the many things I miss about my father is that he always packed light when visiting me so he could fill his trunk with Indiana melons and sweet corn.
  2. Calling all carbonated beverages "coke" or "pop". Soda? What's that? - Everything carbonated is "coke" to me. When I first moved to Florida, restaurant servers ask if Pepsi was okay after I said I'd have a coke, and I'd say, "Huh?" Today I ask my kids, "What kind of coke do you want me to buy for the party?"
  3. Believing everything is better deep fried - My husband had to correct me on this one when we started dating. He was horrified at how much flavor I was missing (not to mention how unhealthy) especially in seafood, but that doesn't mean I've completely let it go. I still like me some fried shrimp or fried fish and french fries!
  4. Pulling out lawn chairs whenever there is a tornado warning - We know when to go inside, but watching the changing of the sky and the wind is fascinating. My mom was always urging us into the basement, but my dad would let us stand on the porch and explain the various changes in atmospheric pressure. Here I'm always scoffing when someone says a tornado is coming because I truly believe I know what the warning signs are.
  5. Always greeting strangers - YES! I think of this one often. My dad never met a stranger and my brother and I grew up with that. Walking down the street and passing someone? We acknowledge his presence with a hello or a how's it going. New York was difficult to hold that in.
  6. Avoiding alcohol on Sundays - Florida use to sell it after one o'clock and I would be all, "What? You can buy liquor on Sunday?"
  7. Living for basketball season - This was also hard when I moved here because in Indiana basketball is life. We have spring, summer, basketball season, and cold.
  8. Wearing shorts in cold weather - I don't do this one so much any more, but when I first moved here people knew I was from up north.
  9. Getting rid of unwanted items in a bonfire - This one makes me cry I laugh so hard because OMG this is true. I can't do that here in our drought state, but on the farms everything gets chucked into the fire. 
  10. Feeling a great burst of pride when asked where you are from - Despite the politics, I am damn proud I'm a Hoosier, and even though I've now lived in Florida longer than I have in Indiana I'm born and bred there, baby.

No comments: