Friday, August 25, 2017

Week one of the empty nest - check

I no longer know the dates since the girls left. I had to write a check yesterday to the A/C maintenance guy and other than vaguely knowing it was still August and that we were in double digits I had no idea. Prior to that I had to sign my name on a contract and date it and I copied the date written by Tom. I now know it was incorrect. It's the little things that reach out and grab me unsuspecting.

This week has been full. My friend SueG has taken advantage of my lay off (that's now how I'm referring to it instead of a retirement because the girls are still in my care and will return for holidays and summer) and has put me to work. Another friend took his kid to college and left me in charge of his dog for two days. Last night I had my tutor student here prepping for an exam. In between all of that the girls have called or texted me daily needing advice or just to check in. Keeping busy is certainly the key to ignoring my empty nest.

I dreaded not being kept abreast of the latest trends now that the girls are gone. Who would teach me how to dab? Would I still be stuck shipping people when I should be doing something new? Thank goodness in this adjustment period the girls are still educating me. Madison introduced the newest Alexa update which allows us to send voice messages to one another or to call using our device. While I enjoy the message feature, I find the calling to be too tinny because I refuse to believe my exceptional hearing, once written about in a medical journal, is dulling. I suppose my Echo Dot is compiling all sorts of information about me and my life, but I love that thing and wish I had one in every room of my house.


Darcy introduced us to the app House Party which allows us to group Facetime. That came about when Madison and I were chatting via Facetime and Darcy tried calling first me and then Madison for "advice". We three way called her and when I complained about not seeing their faces Darcy hooked us up. People! If you have peeps scattered around the country, you have got to get this app. Last night we had a group including Madison in NC, my SIL in IN, me in my bedroom, and Tom in our living room. Okay, while that might not sound as exciting as it should have been trust me it can be, although my brother refused to join in. I'm alerted every time someone in my group enters the "house" and yesterday for fun I popped in to a chat with Madison and Darcy's friend Feifei who is in college in New York. They, of course, were horrified, but after making Feifei show me her dorm room and getting a run down on her college life I did exit and leave them be. But oh what joy to be a part of things!

This morning my Echo Dot has given me the date and I've made sure to register it in the brain. I'm not sure why the date and time in the corner of my computer isn't getting the job done, but whatever. I have a job with SueG again today which is going to involve tools, and later I'm helping my SIL update the Echo Dot I purchased for my brother so that I can message him unsuspecting at night while he watches television.

I'm rocking the first week of my empty nest. Well, except for the little fender bender that happened earlier in the week, but that's another entry for another time. Week one, check.

No comments: