Friday, April 12, 2019

And the rest of the story on the screen

I have a weekly Thursday breakfast with a male friend of mine. We meet at the same restaurant at the same time each week and sit in the same booth. Around us are regulars that we've gotten to know enough to stop and chat either when coming or going. Last Thursday, as I headed to my booth, I recognized the man sitting in the booth before me in a hmm-that-guy-looks-familiar-how-do-I-know-him sort of way.

When I sat down, this guy was directly behind me, so my eyes in the back of my head could stare the back of his head. I was very aware that he would hear the story I wanted to tell regarding my screening episode, but as I'd blogged it and put it out on the wide world web, what did I care?

I began my story as only I can tell it, with many DETAILS and EMOTIONS because, hello, it's a story. My friend, who prefers talking to listening, interrupted often, and I know my voice raised several times if only to regain control of the conversation. At some point, the name of the company came up, and shrugging, I admitted I'd forgotten it in all of the brouhahas.

Me: "It begins with an R."

That's when a voice behind me said the name of the company. He was correct, and when I turned so that the eyes in front could meet the eyes in front of him, I saw a business card instead--from a screening company. The guy worked for the screening company THAT WE'D PLANNED TO GO WITH before the slashers appeared. He got out of his booth and stood next to our table, and pretty much gave me what I'd long suspected.

This is a way to get business. Screen Slashing! Who knew? I mean, I'd jokingly said that to the two razor-blade-wielding slashers after we'd all calmed down and were playing nice, and a part of me wasn't joking, but seriously? Are companies that desperate? In hindsight, I wished we'd just let them hightail it off our property. I don't think they did a bang-up job, feel they left out a few pieces of sline and certainly didn't care for their attitude.

Now my fellow Thursday breakfast eater screen guy is coming to check out what needs to be done to finish the job completely. Because boy, can we now see how rotten the old screens genuinely are, and the sheen across the surface of my pool every morning is starting to get old.

Me: "So, if you could just pop on over and slash up the rest of my screens, so we have to replace it sooner rather than later, I'd appreciate it. Mums the word, of course."

I think he thought I was joking...

No comments: