Saturday, April 13, 2019

Blueberry picking 2019


The blueberry season opened in Florida a couple of weeks ago. The hubby and I got up early on a Saturday and made the hour drive to the nearest blueberry farm, where we split off on our separate way to fill our buckets. Since it was early in the season, we had to work a little harder to get the ripened fruit without destroying the green, but the day was a beautiful one with a slight cooling of temperatures that allowed us to work for over an hour.



It's peaceful out picking. Silence among nature; chirping crickets, buzzing bees, and singing birds. Then there are the parents of toddlers who awake before dawn on a Saturday. I imagine these parents want to wear these kids out with some activity and sunshine so that they'll take naps, but instead of using these little tykes to pick low on the bushes, these parents break the tranquility by shouting. 

Them: "Slow down. Stop! Janey, over here. Joey, don't touch."

One family had their kids loaded in a wagon, and to keep them entertained, just kept feeding them blueberries. I only hoped the kids didn't upchuck blueberries on the way home.



I out-picked Tom. My bucket came to 4.5 pounds while his bucket hovered around 3.9. A total of $42 for all our hard work, but I made two blueberry crumbles, and we shared with my MIL and my friend Jim.

I'll probably send Tom off one more time before the season ends to replenish our supply. The berries should be a tad sweeter by then, although the weather won't be as cool. Hence, the sending Tom part...


No comments: