Sunday, April 14, 2019

Inside/Outside projects 2019

Our Spring projects this year include some inside and outside honey-dos. First on tap indoors, is redoing our master shower. We've been collecting bids for over a year, and finally, hubby had enough. He picked a guy, made some purchases, and we are patiently waiting for the eight week back ordered products. This was done while I was not at home--as my hubby loves to do things when I'm gone--so this redo shower project will be a surprise to me.

Each time we did have a bathroom company come to give us an estimate (when I was home), they wanted to demolish and redo the entire bathroom. The space is small, more a closet than a bathroom, and there really isn't much to do in the area. But companies want to make a huge mess by chipping away and drywalling my tiled walls, and because there is nothing wrong with the tiled walls, I said, uh, no.

The designers shook their heads, and I read their minds: this poor woman doesn't understand the increase of value.

But I do. It's just that I like breathing clean air. The shower will be bad enough.

Our outside projects began first with the screen. Scroll down for those stories if you missed them. Because we did so well with that project, we kept on moving.

Our backyard once held a slab of concrete, a grapefruit tree that mass-produced delicious pink fruit during the season, and an avocado tree that produced one avocado every two years. We eventually redid the back yard, not once, but twice, and it currently houses a pool and screened porch.

Outside the screen, running alongside, we have...mulch. Not grass. Mulch. And some rocks that hubby apparently thought lovely although I've yet to see the aesthetic value. Oh, and my mother's pineapple plants with my own additions from the fruit those plants produced.

It isn't pretty.

Once upon a time, we had grass, but it eventually died in the Florida heat, and hubby refused to replace it because it meant a sprinkler system. I decided this year that I'd had enough and that was all it took for hubby to act. Obviously, it bothered him just as much.

We set about calling patio companies, and the first guy who arrived to give an estimate got the job. He worked for himself, had large muscles that I could observe for writing research, offered up useful advice, and did the job in four days. We now have a lovely outdoor patio and walkway.



I've tried to commission my SIL in Indiana to plant some flowers along the walkway and/or decorate but she has yet to jump on a plane. Apparently, the hubby is set to tackle that project this weekend. Along with changing out the toilet in our bathroom. I've arranged to be gone on Saturday. There will be no blog posts on either of those unless the project flows into Sunday...

Here's hoping that doesn't happen...


No comments: