Monday, December 28, 2020

NFL Monday morning recap week 16

I had a meeting the second half of the game, so I had the TV on in the background of my Zoom, the Steelers website and Yahoo GameDay on my second monitor, and Oleg in the other room making noises alerting me to a score. 


Who has meetings on Sundays?


Steelers:

  • Why do we start so sluggish? First series? Three and out. I could understand it in the second half, but aren't you fired up when you first start a game? We are not.
  • No run game this week. I wondered if that was deliberate. I don't think Tomlin wanted to play James Connor, but Benny Snell Jr. is more our small yardage weapon than our number one running back. But then even he got stuffed on fourth downs where we needed three or fewer yards.
  • The defense, thanks to TJ Watt, leader of the NFL in sacks, stripped the ball and got us into the red zone where Connor powdered in for the tie score.
  • Downhill from there, and at the half, it was 21-7 Colts. What does Tomlin say in the locker room? I mean, these are grown men making, combined, billions of dollars. It's not like you can go in and yell. I wondered if Tomlin watched Ted Lasso because that's the speech I would've given. Instead, the word is that Maurkice Pouncey yelled, and Ben Roethlisberger told them to get out and have fun.
  • Our plays are so predictable that the Colts defense was calling them out after reading the Steelers' offense. That's cheeky. Maybe that's what turned things around? It would certainly fire me up.
  • The second half was a different team. Ben threw out the playbook and called his own plays, relying on the past. Does that mean Todd Haley plays? Snicker, snicker.
  • Diontae Johnson redeemed himself after all the dropped passes in the last few games with a diving catch in this game to give us seven more points. Great throw by Ben and a great catch by Johnson. That's more like it!
  • The defense was on fire, but we also have to thank the Colts for the penalties. The Steelers took advantage of the penalties for once and capitalized earning points. 
  • Yay, JuJu! So glad he scored. Also, Tomlin must have discussed his celebrations because he was chill after scoring. That's more like it! I wasn't all concerned with Smith-Schuster's dancing on the opposition's logo during the pre-game warm-up because I didn't think he meant it disrespectfully. He just wanted Tik Tok hits. I mean, it wasn't the Titans stomping on the Terrible Towel, but I also see how it annoyed players and fans. 
  • My brother--he once a Chargers fan--told me the Steelers couldn't play against Phillip Rivers. I rolled my eyes. Like Brady, Rivers doesn't like to be on the ground, so I knew if our defense stuffed him on the turf, we'd take him. It was nice to be right.
  • The second half of the game was more like the Steelers of old. I say, let Ben run the show. It worked for Terry Bradshaw!


I didn't watch the other games due to my meeting. Needless to say, I told the writer's group that Sunday meetings were not going to work for me...

No comments: