Tuesday, September 21, 2021

It's okay, Google

 Besides cutting cable, we have slowly become a smart home. We aren't there one hundred percent, but we're damn close. For the most part, I'm on board. I still find it hilarious when our garage door closes after thirty minutes, especially when the hubby is working outside or a maintenance guy is repairing appliances in my garage. Well, until I discovered the latter lacked a sense of humor.

One of the things the hubby added was a Nest thermostat. For the most part, I have no idea how it works, and I rarely touch it. I don't even jump like I used to do when it lights up as I wander past it. 

The other day as I strode by it, the blue light came on, and I saw the temperature was 81. Now, normally that would cause some anxiety because, in the days of our old a/c, that meant we had an issue. One that required backing the car out of the garage, blowing out a clogged value, and dumping bleach. But, we have a new air conditioner and a new Nest thermostat, and again, as I said in my last post, I'm chill these days.


Plus, I work in my office, where I have a window A/C unit. 

But, eventually, I noticed the dog panting and me sweating more than normal. Apparently, my smart thermostat registers an empty home and turns up the air. Why waste when no one is around to appreciate it? Only, I am here, as is Elliot. What am I supposed to do? Periodically dance in front of the thermostat?

And because I'm supposed to be showing an author presence on social media, I tweeted that. I thought it funny. It's not like I don't know how to adjust the air. I've since figured that out, and when 81 is too much for the dog and me, I turn it down manually. But I tweeted my funny message on both of my accounts, and both times, Google responded. Please, direct message us! They wanted to help me figure out my issue. Aww...

I've ignored them. I mean, what do I say? Our Nest doesn't recognize that I'm in the house? Because seven hours of my day I'm sitting at a desk in a room far, far away? Do I tell them I thought it was a funny tweet? Dancing in front of the Nest, shouting, "Here I am!" So, then because I was curious, I Googled my issue.

It turns out that many Nest owners and reviewers list this issue as a negative of the thermostat. Yikes! No wonder Google is reaching out. I guess I'll respond. No worries, Google. I'm okay with manually demanding Nest know I'm around. Who knows how long this has been happening, and I've never even noticed! So, maybe it's been saving me lots of money! When I'm hot, I'll dance in front of the thermostat. Or, I'll adjust it. Either way, I'm good. 

What I can't stand is my video doorbell not working, my hubby not closing the door when he leaves, and a stranger walking right into my house. But that's another post for another day...


No comments: