Friday, January 21, 2022

How is the day already over?

Before I begin my daily writing, I like to check my email and then the news on Yahoo. Today, I caught up on how close Russia was to the Ukraine border, how COVID vaccines would be given to my great, great, great, great-grandchildren, and I read about Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph's mental state with regards to Ben's not yet declared retirement. 


Then I saw that Louie Anderson and Meatloaf had died. 


Me: "Whoa. Meatloaf died."


Oleg: "Meatloaf?"


Me: "Yes."


Oleg: "Is that a rapper?"


Me: "You don't know Meatloaf?"


Oleg: "I do not know Meatloaf."


Immediately, as I do when singers die, I popped on Amazon Music and started playing Meatloaf's hits. Oleg had heard I'd Do Anything For Love but not Two Out of Three Ain't Bad. He went back to his Zoom work. I went back to work.


Well, that's what I should've done. Instead, I began playing my oldies playlist. I started with 1970's country hits, and when I realized that the first ten songs were all by now dead artists, I looked them up on the Internet. I wasn't sure about some of them. I knew the status of Glen Campbell, Charley Pride, Eddie Rabbitt, and Kenny Rogers but wasn't sure about Johnny Paycheck, Jerry Reed, and Crystal Gayle. 


FYI, the first two are dead. Crystal Gayle, and her sister Loretta Lynn, are still alive and kicking.


But I was fascinated to read that Crystal moved and lived in Wabash, Indiana, that Johnny Paycheck had a sexual assault charge against him, and that Jerry Reed married his wife of a zillion years when she was seventeen, and he was twenty. That led to me checking out the others' married lives. Most of them were married only once and still with their spouse when they died. 


I investigated the lives of Olivia Newton-John, Donna Fargo, Luther Ingram, and Marie Osmond. From Marie, I was horrified to see that Dan Seals had died. I'm sure I knew that since he died years ago, but I was still bummed. But then, in reading about his life, I learned that he was ENGLAND DAN!


I did not know that. Nor did I know he was the little brother of Jim Seals from Seals and Croft.


England Dan and John Ford Coley! That was a name I hadn't heard in years.


So, I had to play all of their hit songs and sing along. Poor Oleg. We share a workroom. He is good about indulging me when it comes to my music. 


Then Darcy's friends showed up to visit her from a distance outside. I had to know if they'd heard about Meatloaf.


Me: "Did you guys hear about Meatloaf?"


Them: "We don't know who that is."


Darcy: "I know! He died. Poor Meatloaf."


Her friends immediately got online because if Darcy knew who he was, why didn't they? My youngest knows how to play the game. She hadn't a clue who Meatloaf was, but she'd read the news. Thank god, Madison arrived home from work because she knew Meatloaf and Two Out of Three Ain't Bad. We proceeded to sing it for the crew.


Wait. How is Madison already home from work? Is it already 4:00 p.m?


I headed back to the computer to write. I put on my Dan Seals Greatest Hits album to compare his shift in personas. From there, I switched to my 1980's country hits playlist where Barbara Mandrell sang about how she was country when it wasn't cool. When she said she put peanuts in her coke, I stopped typing.


What?


I had to look that up. How have I never heard about this living in Florida? Now, I just want to try it. I mean...right?


When John Anderson started swinging, I wondered what famous person he'd married. Turns out, that wasn't true. But he's from Apopka, Florida! 


It's now 5:00 p.m. I'm supposed to be wrapping up my day because I have to be at dinner at 5:30 p.m. I've been at this since noon, and I can honestly say that besides the above information, I have nothing to show in my romance writing.

Okay, not true. I have jotted down a somewhat romance plot based on Meatloaf's song. Whew. 

No comments: