Thursday, January 06, 2022

Steelers send off Big Ben with a MNF win

Since the beginning of this blog, I've talked about football--mainly Pittsburgh Steelers football. That's my team. The ones I chose to back in the 1970s before they netted their four Super Bowl rings. 

Indiana didn't have an NFL team. The Colts resided in Baltimore then, but my local sports station piped in the Steelers games every week. Having lived in Pennsylvania, it was easy to check these guys out. I liked everything about the team, from its rich history to its down-to-earth owners. The players then had a strong work ethic mentality and a band of brothers' camaraderie. Plus, their uniforms were bad-assed! My brother and I hopped on the Steelers Nation train. 


He jumped off at some point, but I remained aboard, although I admit to some lackluster watching years after the births of my children. 


I bleed black and yellow. I have an entire room devoted to the team and the present and past players. Every September, the outside of my house flies seven Steelers flags. I celebrate the wins and mourn the losses. I was there for the highs in the 70's and 80's. I suffered through the lows in the 90's and early 2000's. 


And I remember the drafting of Ben Roethlisberger eighteen years ago and the joy of finally getting back to where the Steelers belonged--in the Super Bowl.



Monday night, Big Ben took Heinz Field for the last time to a packed crowd wearing number 7 jerseys and a national audience of Steelers fans waving Terrible Towels. For many (and I'll admit I was one), it was a year or two past due. 

It still didn't make it any less emotional.

Even for me, whose admiration for the 6'5 quarterback took a severe hit after his 2010 sexual assault allegations and leaves me more than ready to say goodbye, Monday night was special. I couldn't have written it any better.

There was a sold-out crowd of 63,624. Signs thanking Ben for his 18 years of leadership dotted the arena and hung from the balconies. The offensive line protected Ben like they should've been doing all year long, allowing Najee Harris holes to run 188 yards. Renegade blared during the fourth quarter. The defense sacked Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield nine times, T.J. Watt contributing to four of those. When the Browns got within five points with a little over a minute to play, the offense did enough to keep the ball in Ben's hands, and then they dug deeper and scored a touchdown to seal the deal. 

The Steelers crowd went wild, and shouts of Thank you, Ben filled the stadium.

But the defense wanted their turn. With mere seconds ticking on the clock, the Steelers defense picked off Baker Mayfield to return the ball to Ben for the victory formation that allowed him to take a knee.

"I didn't think I was going to take the field again, but it's the best play in football, when you're an offensive player, to take a knee. So I'm glad I got to do it one last time," Roethlisberger told ESPN's Lisa Salters after the game, tears pooling in his eyes.

He didn't want to leave the field. Neither did the fans. Both stood, one holding his arms high and waving, the other thanking their quarterback for 18 damn good years. Big Ben took a lap around the field, then sat on the Steelers bench for the last time. When it was apparent he was heading back to the locker room, Ben's family came to him. Kneeling, he embraced his three children, then hand-in-hand with his wife and kids, Big Ben walked off the field into the tunnel and out of the limelight.

Storybook evening. 

And it would've been nice to have ended the season right then and there. But NO! The NFL added an 18th week to the season this year, and the Steelers need a miracle--that in Jacksonville beating the Colts--alongside a win against the hated Ravens on a short week amongst a raging COVID spread.

"It's funny because it's probably not the way you'd want it other than the win, and that's all that really matters," Roethlisberger said about his stats in Monday's game. "That's kind of been the story of my career. It's not always pretty, but we find a way."

Thanks for the ride, Ben. It certainly was never dull!




No comments: