Thursday, May 05, 2022

Easter 2022

I spent Easter in Pennsylvania with a precocious 12-year-old. She'll tell you that I made her hunt eggs. Secretly, she enjoyed it. I had planned to bring stuff with me for the big day, but time and my poor memory screwed that up, and I had to shop for stuff during one of our daily errand run-around days. I also ordered a gift on Amazon for next-day delivery. Easter - check!



My plan was to stuff eggs with puzzle pieces that would have to be put together to find the clue. I did this years ago with my girls, and it was a huge hit. The problem was I went with the 24-piece puzzle instead of the 48-piece one, and Steph pointed out that those weren't going to fit inside the plastic eggs. Her suggestion to fold the puzzle pieces was not helpful, but then again, this is the mother who got fed up over something or another one Easter and yelled, "There is NO Easter Bunny!"

I decided to channel my inner Kelly (that's our friend whose creativity we miss) and stuffed treasure hunt clues I got off the Internet (I am NOT like Kelly in coming up with my own). Then I hid the puzzle pieces that morning while everyone was occupied. I was so organized that I didn't mess up!

First, we hunted the eggs. I made Maggie's older brother participate, but there wasn't much pushback on that. Apparently, other PA parents have kept up the Easter Egg hunting tradition in our house, and I look forward to the day, say, six months from now when these eggs are discovered. (A group of the over twenty-year-olds slept where we hid the eggs after a night before Easter liquid overindulgence. Not that we in any way are blaming them.)

Luckily, only one egg with a clue was missing. Maggie found her eggs first and began the treasure hunt. She was good at figuring out the clues, although I gave hints on a few. 



Clue number 9 said: I have all the clues, can create many a thing, there's really no telling what my keys and mouse might bring. 

Maggie: "That's you, Cara. Let me search you."

Me: "Flattery will get you very far with me."

Thus the hints!



Once she had all the puzzle pieces, Maggie built it, flipped it over with precision (and the help of a flat tray and spatula), and then wandered while repeating the clue. It didn't take her long to find her basket. Nate had to stop to run an errand, but when he returned, he gave it his all.



Nate: "Somewhere I never go? I don't know. The laundry room?"

The baskets were in the dryer. They were a hit. So was the game. Then Maggie made everyone an Easter breakfast. 




Later that day, we took Auntie Kim to the train station for her return home. Then we had Easter dinner provided by the Hershey Country Club. We ate salmon, beef, potatoes, veggies, several salad varieties, and dessert choices. A few family and friends came, and we spent the rest of the evening talking and telling stories.

A very nice Easter.

Darcy: "Well, I'm glad it was because the Easter bunny didn't come to our house! I'm just saying..."

No comments: