Sunday, December 25, 2022

Christmas Eve 2022

My family arrived late last night and stayed near the airport. They are not happy with this cold weather that people believe I brought back from Pennsylvania. Too bad. We love it! It finally feels like Christmas!

While my family spends the day wrapping presents and getting settled into their place on the beach, we will celebrate Christmas with my hubby's side of the family. This is the one day everyone will be here besides Christmas Day.

For most of the week, my nephew stayed with us. It was like old times having him here, although he is now married. And grown-up. Both Madison and I tried to hang around to entertain him and spend quality time. When his parents arrived, he joined them at the rental house, and Darcy moved back into what was once her room.

I love having both girls back under our roof!


Darcy's roommate and Oleg will join us again this year, as well as Oleg's family. It shall be a packed house! 

It was agreed we would have brunch for Christmas since my family was here. I alternate the holiday with my family and my husband's family and try my best to spend at least half a day with his family during my family's year. It isn't always easy, and feelings are hurt on both sides, but I don't know how to satisfy everyone. I haven't seen my family in three years because of COVID, and a lot has happened. 



The rental house was huge! It was also weirdly painted in bright, vibrant colors and decorated with paintings that looked like they came from one of those paint and wine places.

The brunch was delicious. My SILs are both great cooks. I didn't get quality time with everyone, but we just saw one another at the wedding in September. 



We did our usual Yankee exchange, and while it isn't my favorite thing, this year might've changed my mind. It was tons of fun! The gifts were great. There was a lot of stealing of not just one gift but several. It took two hours to get through all twenty-plus presents, and while I didn't end up with what I wanted, I did end up with the gift I tried to get last year. Yes, someone did put in their present from last year! I won't mention names, but I might've had some direction in ending up with it. I will say Oleg stole from me the electric salt and pepper grinder I wanted. I will not forget that.



Grandma gave the grandchildren her presents and opened gifts from us. She also tried out one of the toys given in the Yankee exchange. Needless to say, we won't be giving her anything projectile any time soon! 



My family got to my house only a short time after we got home. I got teary hugging all of them. Everyone looked great! We ate pizza and caught up. This was their first time meeting Oleg. Games were played. Stockings filled. Under the tree was packed, but as my girls pointed out, it is a small space. Uh-huh.


I thought this would be the first year without Santa for my girls. Darcy was not happy about that and texted Oleg, who then texted me and told me to stop killing Christmas. He insisted he would be Santa for Darcy, so several days before Christmas, I ran around getting more gifts for him and Maddy.
 
He and I did our traditional watching of Die Hard while everyone else went to bed. Tom, who had his COVID booster, slept after the pizza. He woke up at midnight and joined us. At about 1:15 a.m., I realized I hadn't put the breakfast casserole in the crockpot, so I had to do that. Oleg and I played Santa, then he went off to bed. 

This is the first time I didn't watch A Christmas Story since I don't know when. I should've whined about that to Darcy. 

I'm off to shower. Technically, it is Christmas since it's almost three o'clock. Merry Christmas, peeps! Hope your day is a great one!











No comments: