Wednesday, December 14, 2022

It's beginning to feel like Christmas 2022

I decorated for Christmas Tuesday night and most of Wednesday, figuring that at least the inside and outside would be festive for company. I was concerned about finding a tree. We can't go to a farm and cut one down!

But as usual, I worried for nothing. It was no trouble. The three of us went, the eldest daughter somewhat begrudgingly since she had work to do, and found a tree at the first place we stopped. We walked inside the tent, inhaling the pine scent, and found our tree in three minutes. It was the first one we touched. Of course, I reiterated the spiel about not taking the first tree, blah, blah, blah. We spent another three minutes looking before going back to the first tree.


The tree is the best we've ever had. The eldest is a Christmas tree-finding whiz. We then got dinner at Chick-fil-a because I hoped their peppermint shakes would put these two into the holiday spirit!

Once home, I insisted the lights be put on the tree. That is not my job. I will do everything else, but not the lights. There was too much whining and alternative suggestions for why not to do what I asked, but I prevailed. I told them how The Kid handled these situations with me. I may have mentioned that several times. Already, they are tired of hearing about The Kid's perfection.

Madison was horrified to hear my stories of letting the 13-year-old run amok. She could not fathom me as Nanny Cara. I didn't allow this as Mommy Cara!

Madison (coughing into her hand): "Helicopter parent."

The youngest popped in today. She was even more scandalized.

Darcy: "MOTHER!" 

Hmm...now I'm rethinking how I handled things. Maybe I shouldn't have kept a journal. Maybe I should've let Steph stay in the dark about the happenings while she was away? 

Nah. Her kid is alive. Surely, she didn't hop for anything more???

I decorated the tree today. That involved rearranging my couches to make some room. I've never done this before with these couches, but I've wanted to change them up for some time, which gave me an excuse. Lord, the things I found under those couches!


It took me less than twenty-four hours to whine about the heat. I returned home to almost ninety-degree temperatures. My b ody was drenched in sweat decorating for what is supposedly a winter holiday. I can't wait for the cold front they say we will have next week.

I kept the fake tree that sits where our Christmas tree goes in this room. I usually put it in the Steelers' room. The tree is from my mother's condo. Her decorator got it when redoing her place, and I took the damn thing because fake trees are a fortune! It isn't the nicest looking thing, but we leave lights on it year-round and occasionally turn them on.


I decorated it with my Steelers' ornaments this year. Doing two trees and sweeping and mopping the floors took me all day. I was worn out. But sitting here tonight with everything lit up, it was worth it. 
If I only had my shopping done, I'd feel even better!

No comments: