Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Vermont vacation - days three and four


Monday, it rained. In Florida, we have rain, but it never lasts long. Here, it continues. The temperatures dropped, and although I sat on the back porch covered in my presidential robe, I wore shorts when it came time to dress for the day.


We lounged. Read. Tom worked in the little desk space he'd made in his room, hooking his laptop to the TV. I wrote. During a break in the weather, Tom took a little walk, and later, he drove into Jeffersonville to the small grocery.

I wonder why he keeps buying all this food. We can't possibly eat it, but he's so happy when he returns with it, I can't complain. He's having fun exploring the area's groceries, and we are totally sold on Cabot company, the local dairy.

Tuesday was more of the same--cold and wet. We didn't let that stop us. We love the cold. Since the Steelers won last night, I wore my Steelers sweatpants and shirt, and Tom bundled up like it was skiing weather, and off we went. I researched local attractions yesterday and had a list. Tom went with the flow. I like this side of him.


The leaves began turning with the rain and the cooler temperatures, and the drive to Waterbury was incredible despite the rain. Our first stop was the Cold Hollow Apple Cider Mill, recommended to us by our plane guy. We had soup and sandwiches in the restaurant and then toured the shop across the pathway, purchasing gifts and apple cider donuts. It was a cute, touristy place, but the food lacked taste. Several Steelers fans talked to us as Tom wore his Steelers jacket, and I was head to toe in black and gold.



We drove from the mill to tour the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream factory, arriving between tours. We explored the shop and surrounding area while we waited. There is a cemetery outside the factory for the Ben & Jerry flavors that didn't make it, and we walked through it in the rain, reading all the"headstones."





Inside, I met a woman from Pittsburgh, and we chatted about Monday night's game before her husband pulled her away. Steelers Nation is everywhere, people!



The guided tour was thirty minutes, starting with a movie introducing the two men and how they founded the company. I got choked over their progressive, nonpartisan social mission. The company seeks to meet human needs and eliminate local, national, and international injustices. When Ben & Jerry sold the company, they ensured the new owners would carry that commitment forward.

They really believe ice cream can change the world. Heck, I'll buy them just for that alone.

The factory is a working one. The tour took us through a glassed mezzanine above the production room floor, where we learned how they make the pints. We sampled some of the chunks they put in the ice cream and ended up in the Flavor Room, where we got a sample of ice cream and had a Q&A. We didn't hop over to the Scoop Shop since the sample was so large, and we wanted to give our plane guy another chance.



Our next stop was the Cabot Creamery farmer's store, replacing their old factory tour. The Cabot Company is an American dairy agricultural cooperative started in 1919. They initially produced butter and later expanded to include cheeses in 1930. To combat declining membership, they merged with Agri-Mark and rebranded as Cabot. There are over 400 Cabot farmers in Vermont.

We got to sample various cheeses, and Tom, of course, had to make some purchases. Their whipped butter was my favorite, and if we had Cabot in Florida, I'd buy it exclusively, as I would Ben & Jerry's ice cream. These New Englanders know how to work together to make a better world.


Across the parking lot from Cabot's was the distillery, and having tasted Tennessee moonshine, I decided I might as well taste Vermont bourbon.

But the first offering is a shot of maple syrup.

Me: "Who shoots syrup?"

Owner: "Vermonters."

I couldn't do it. I had to lick it a bit at a time, but OMG! That syrup is incredible. Now, I understand why it is sold by the gallon everywhere in Vermont. I asked the guy why it was so damn good, and we had a nice chat. He escaped Florida, bought property in Vermont, and brought his family, his wife's side included, to live there. He taps his own trees and makes his own syrup.

I tried five bourbon samples and discussed each with the other taster and the employees. Afterward, I walked around the store, still licking my maple syrup.

Owner: "I just watched you do five bourbon shots like a boss, but you can't down the syrup?"

I couldn't. He had me try both the bourbon and rum syrup, and since I couldn't decide which I liked best, Tom bought me one of each.

We ended our night in Stowe at Piecasso for pizza and a salad, and it was the best pizza I've put in my mouth.

The last time I visited Vermont, I swore I would have a summer home here.

Now, I really need one.



No comments: