Friday, October 10, 2008

Keepsakes

Today while construction was going on in my living room I hid out in my office and decided to clean out files. The first one that I went through was a file titled, Keepsakes. The file was full of great stuff.


  1. Funeral notices - A way of remembering.

  2. A Betty Crocker Easy Bake Kit Baking Book from my childhood. This is interesting to me because we were not allowed to have an Easy Bake oven as my mother thought that stupid. "We have an oven in our kitchen!" So we would buy the kit and bake the stuff in our kitchen oven.

  3. My bridal registry from Burdines, a store no longer in business.

  4. A Purple Pride sticker - Go Aces!

  5. A crossword puzzle that I made for Kelly years ago. It was a puzzle about soap operas, and I did it by hand. It turned out so well (in my mind) that I made her send it back to me after she filled it out.

  6. A Master Mix pad of paper with my father's picture at the bottom.

  7. Letters from Tom when he traveled to France

  8. Various cards from people telling me how wonderful I was/am to them.

  9. A paper on how the word, "f**k" is the greatest word in the English Language. This was sent to my mother by our friend Karl. I wish I could print it on this blog because I'm telling you it is the funniest f**king paper.

  10. An envelope of Keepsakes that my mother kept of mine and then handed over to me a few years ago. In this envelope was the following:
  • Three wills that I left at various times, although there are no dates. Here is one of them: "I, Cara, leave $100 dollars to my brother, Rusty, and he better not spend it all at the bowling place. I also leave $200 for my Sugar Daddy. I also leave my nightlight to Helen and Ray. To my brother, I also leave him Cat and Teddy to take care of them. To my friend, Laura, I leave $200 dollars. To Michelle, I leave my Barbie dolls. To Robby, I leave my jumping robes. To Barry, I leave $2.00. And the rest goes to my mother."

  • An envelope with hair from my first haircut in 1966. It was done by my Great Aunt Margaret and her daughter, Suzy in St. Augustine, FL. This hair now proves (to Kelly) that my hair was NOT red like my girls.

  • A Lincoln-Kennedy uncirculated penny, a 1776-1976 silver dollar, and two $2.00 uncirculated bills

  • A poem I wrote

  • A birthday card I made for my mother that says on the front, "Happy Birthday Mom! May this birthday be the best yet, for the older you grow the sweeter you get. (hint, hint)"

  • Letter to Santa Claus from 1971 that says in neat printing on big lined paper, " Dear Santa Claus. Please bring our toys to Grandpa Renaker's house. I want Timey Tell and silly putty in my stocking for Christmas. My brother wants a talking G.I. Joe and silly putty in his stocking. Love, Cara"
  • A bunch of papers, newspaper articles, and writings that I must post later.

No comments: