Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Back home again in Indiana - Evansville

Five things I did upon returning to the place of my childhood:

  1. Hit the Donut Bank - Actually we stopped in Princeton for the first of our three visits to the Bank. I'm not lying when I say that you will never find a better glazed, blueberry, or chocolate long john donut then right here at the Kemp's Donut Bank. Honestly, I dream about these things. I'm so in love with them that I've vowed never to eat another donut unless it comes from here! (Might be my new resolution for 2010)

  2. Headed back home - Checked out the old homestead (which my mother sold out from underneath me) . Ended up visiting with my old neighbor who still lives across the street from where I use to live. We had several good laughs about the shenanigans the five kids (my brother and I and her three kids) use to get into while the parents were out. The neighborhood looked smaller to me, and much to my girls' dismay, I pointed out places and said things like, "When I was a kid this wasn't here...this is where I use to play...."

  3. Chowed down on The Pizza Oven pizza - Hands down the best pizza I've ever put in my mouth. Fresh ingredients, sauce that tangs the tongue, and a thin crust The establishment has been owned by the same family for thirty-one years in the same hole-in-the-wall building. There are tables, but take-out is their business. We got the sausage (a must have) and ripped into it right in the car.


  4. Bought me some Indiana sweet corn - and stayed in a hotel where the parking lot shared space with a corn field. Only in Indiana!


  5. Slurped down on some Indiana cantaloupe - You won't find it bigger or better anywhere else. Don't even try.

No comments: