Saturday, July 18, 2009

Highlights of Southern Indiana - Saturday

  • We left the house about 11:30 PM and arrived in Terre Haute around 4:30 PM. We checked into the hotel, got our groceries (and jackets for the Florida crew) and headed to the farm.
  • We took a wrong turn down a dirt road near the stripper pits. The funny thing about that was how Susan kept pointing out places that were familiar to her telling us stories that Rusty had told her while driving this (wrong) road. It made me feel even more at home as it reminded me of my father.
  • Susan wanted to call Rusty to tell us where we were and to help us out of this mess, but I wouldn't let her. We drove around through the corn and soybean fields, along the dirt road, dodging deer and little bunnies. I had my head out of the sunroof taking pictures as she drove.
  • The one good thing was that the corn was not as high as an elephant's eye so we were able to see around us as we drove.
  • We found the original road after about 40 minutes of endless driving and we managed to find the right turn off. We arrived at the farm around 7:00 PM.

  • The wiener roast was down by the pond. Madison cooked our hot dogs and smores over the big bonfire. Everything was perfect. We enjoyed the dogs, the smores, taco bake dip, hash brown casserole, mac and cheese, chips, and lots of desserts. Also beer and wine, which was never around the reunion when I was a child (that I remember).
  • The girls had a blast with their "new" cousins as they called them. They were all fascinated at the relationships of everyone as if this were the first time hearing them. Darcy: "You have two sisters?" Gabby: "That man is Aunt Lorene's son? What is he to me?"
  • We headed back to Terre Haute around 10:00 PM where we completed a tick check. All was clear.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Hope you're having a great time back in Indiana. I just drove past the Dugger exit on my way home from Evansville. It always makes me think of you and of course your Dad. Enjoy your visit.