Monday, July 20, 2009

Fruitcakes in the car



Whenever we traveled during my childhood my mother would always tell us to look out the window at the scenery. We traveled out west with my grandparents and my cousin and the only thing my cousin remembers is my mother yelling, "Put down those Barbie dolls and look out the window!" 
Now it is my turn to tell that to my own children.


I am forever telling them to check things out their window.

Me: "Look, girls. Can you see the crops? There are the soybeans. The grass is so much greener than Florida grass, don't you think? No palm trees."

Me: "Cows!"

Me: "Corn in the field. High as an elephant's eye!"

As we left the farm and headed toward Evansville, we passed The Big Peach, a farmer's market where you can get fresh food right from the fields. As a child, passing this peach meant that we were almost to the farm, and I passed this little tidbit on to the disinterested girls in the back seat. I kept driving.

A few minutes later, Susan spotted this out the window.



Susan: "Girls! Look! A Big Strawberry!"

Gabby: "What's next? The Big Banana?"

No comments: