Thursday, July 15, 2010

Slide Memories from Indiana

This week I received a package in the mail. It contained a DVD from a friend of mine who had been visiting her parents for the weekend. Her father was in the process of going through his home slides and putting them on the computer and on to DVD's. My friend and her husband complied some pictures of me and sent them on.

Several months ago my mother-in-law bought a slide scanner and did the same with her own slides from her childhood. She passed the scanner to me when she was finished so that I could do the same with the slides my Dad had made of us as children. The scanner has sat silent on my desk ever since. The farthest I ever got was organizing the slides into categories.

Receiving that DVD got me hopping. My husband hooked up my scanner and for the past three days I have gone through my slides, transferring them on to my computer and labeling them for future reference. It is slow going and quite time consuming, but the nostalgia, memories and peace it has brought me has been worth it. So much so that I'm sharing.

I so remember this outfit, but have no memory of why it was made or what it was for or why I'm standing in front of the neighbor's house to model it. I had the outfit for years. Haven't a clue what happened to it now, but the hat is certainly a nice touch.

This picture made me just cry for lost items. As I grew up I kept everything from my childhood. I kept telling my parents that I was keeping the horse, and the rocking chair, and the table and the toybox for my kids. My mother rolled her eyes. My father just kept making room for the things in the storage area. Unfortunately a flood destroyed all of my things except for the horse and the rocking chair. Those two items my children kid get to enjoy.

I look at the record player and the record holder and so wish I still had them. I got the record player for my first birthday with a 45 record singing a birthday song. I played that song over and over and over for years. I still have the record. The player lost in the flood. I can still remember the smell the record holder had upon opening.

I like to tell my kids and Rusty's kids how he use to sleep with me when he was young. He slept walked in the night and always ended up cuddling with me in my room. This picture just proves me right!



This is a photo taken in the house next door soon after we moved to Indiana from North Carolina. It makes me remember how wonderful our neighborhood was and how wonderful all of us were as friends. It also makes me wish my own children would have that same experience. Unfortunately, those times are long gone.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Cara,
Love the pictures. Thanks for all the great memories recently. Wish I could be sitting there watching you go through those slides. I bet they are a hoot!