Thursday, July 22, 2010

Steelers Room Construction 110

Back when I first started the construction project that I dubbed "My Steelers Room", I had an idea of what I wanted. I wanted gold paint on the walls. I wanted a black leather couch that would cost no more than $300. I wanted Steelers stuff all over the walls. I wanted new carpet. I wanted, I wanted, I wanted.

The husband gave the okay-maybe-that-would-work and so the next day I went out and bought the paint. The next day I painted. Two days later the room was painted. A week later I found and purchased my black, fake leather $300 couch. The husband started sweating. This was not the way to go about re-doing a room. I was doing things backward. The carpet should be next. Why would I bring new furniture into a room when I would just have to remove it again when I did the floor? Because that was the same night of the beginning of my summer illness I didn't have the energy to argue. That and it made some sense.

Eventually I picked out the carpet and sat and waited for my flooring man to get to me on his list to measure. A month came and went. I was sick and had no interest in flooring. Another month started. I felt better. Tom moved on to the kitchen and we began picking out counter tops. No one could agree on one. We were stalled once again. Then one day Tom came in from mowing the lawn and announced that he was going to put a front porch on the house. I started sweating. This was not the way to go about things. He was doing things backward. Why would he start another project when I had two going on at this time? I insisted he call the flooring guy man to man.

The flooring guy was here in four hours to measure. The carpet was in stock. Cue to five days later and my carpet is here and getting installed. Temperature outside is in the upper 90's. I was on the afternoon shift. Temperature in that room in the afternoon is in the upper 90's with the air on. Doors are open while furniture is carried out to the pool deck and old carpet is being removed. Temperature in the house is in the upper 80's with the air cut back. The four children in my care are in the pool. The dog is locked in the pool area so that he won't bother the carpet men. I am in the office/kitchen unable to get to the pool unless I exit the front of the house and walk around because all the furniture and crap that was in the Steelers Room is now in the bedrooms, the dining area, the back porch, and the living room. Three computers, one of which I am attached to almost hourly, has been broken down and stored under the dining room table. I am sneakily using the husband's off limits computer so that I don't waste away.

The day started with my friend arriving to drop off her daughter for the weekend. She brought bagels. The other three girls and the friend's daughter chowed down and then hopped into the pool. The flooring men arrived. They began emptying the room of the stuff we left behind from our own attempts at emptying the room. I went back into the kitchen with my friend. The flooring guys called my name. I left and saw that the girls had not deflated the bed in that room. My friend and I began deflating and taking down the bed. The kids called me from the pool. I couldn't get close to them. I threw them what they needed. We moved the bed into another bedroom. We went back to the kitchen. Flooring guys called me again. The dog was in the room bothering them. I got the dog back to the girls and closed the fence. The flooring guys needed me again. I went back in and answered questions, picking up crap on the floor that had fallen behind my desk which now lay in three pieces on the floor. My phone rang. I couldn't get to it because furniture blocked my path. My friend was on her phone. The caller began leaving a message. I finished with the guys and got close to hear my mother as the caller on the machine. She sounded frantic. I climbed over the couch and made it to the kitchen and picked up the phone. She needed help. The girls called from the pool. Mother got annoyed. My friend had to leave. The flooring guy needed a bathroom. Somehow I kept my sanity. I'm pretty proud of that.

The carpet is almost down. I shall have to paint behind the desk before the furniture can be put back in the room. Troy is keeping an eye on the flooring guys. The dog is keeping an eye on the girls. I am on the illegal computer keeping an eye on the temperature. Pictures will be forthcoming.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Oh how exciting!!! I can't wait to see the finished project!! Wish I were there to help:))) Pictures please!!! Is your mother ok?