Monday, August 30, 2010

I can see the light

Lowe's employee:  "Are you finding everything you need?"

Me:  "Actually no.  I'm looking for a corner shelf."

LE:  "Follow me."

He turned about face and marched off and I followed as directed.  We entered a darkened aisle and halfway down he stopped and swept his arm to the side like one of the girls on the Price Is Right.  High up on a display board nestled into the corner were four corner shelves of various sizes and colors.  I had to tilt my head back far enough that it rested on my shoulders to see them.

LE:  "We have 3 to choose from.  White, white, and glass.  Oh, sorry, four."

Me:  "Yeah.  I think all of them are too big.  You see I need to hang a light."

LE:  "What kind of light?"

Me:  "Well, it's not a light to see by it's a Steelers light."

LE:  "What happened to the Bucs?"

Me:  "They're blacked out." (A little local humor which he enjoyed)  "It's a decorative light for my new Steelers Room, and I was going to hang it in the corner above my desk so I thought the easiest way would be to bang a nail into the corner and hang it.  So I used the largest nail we had and banged it into the wall, but when I went to hang the light the two sides butted up against the two walls and it didn't quite catch on the nail."  I demonstrated against a wall.  "And now there is a hole in the wall which I need to hide so my husband doesn't see.  So really, I'm thinking all I need is one bigger nail instead of a $23 shelf."

LE:  "Yeah.  Uh.  No.  I wouldn't recommend that method.  A shelf would be better."

Me:  "Really?  But these shelves aren't the right color."

LE:  "Black isn't the right color for the Steelers?"

Me:  "That isn't black."

LE:  "The fourth shelf is black."

Me:  "Okay, hard to tell in this light, but I'll take your word for it, but it's too big.  Well, maybe not the one way up there.  But it's white.  I don't want white.  Well, maybe white would work.  And it's only $10 so maybe I should just buy that and take it home and see how that works because I could always bring it back, right?"

LE:  "Right.  Try it and see.  At the very least it will cover the nail hole so your husband doesn't see that."

I brought the $10 white shelf home and decided it would work with the white around the windows, but when I opened everything and started reading the directions I thought the screws were too long.  They were longer than the nail I had banged into the wall earlier.  And the directions wanted me to use drywall anchors the same length.  And my desk is butt up against the corner I want to hang the shelf and therefore a pain to try to get to.  I gave the job to the husband.

Tom:  "This is the shelf?  Where do you want it?"

Me:  "I want it right here.  I have marked the area with pencil.  See it?"

Tom:  "I see you left a hole in the wall."

Me:  "Yep.  That's why I want the shelf right here because then when I put this light on the shelf you won't see that hole in the wall."

No comments: