Thursday, August 26, 2010

Still working on the problem

Yesterday I was told I do not have colon cancer.  The polyps that were removed and looked a tad shady weren't even pre-cancerous.  They were all benign.  All the tests ruled out Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, IBS, parasites, viruses, bacteria toxins, E Coli and Salmonella.  I do have a small hiatal hernia, reflux, and diverticulosis/diverticulitis.  I got to see the films of my intestines, stomach, and esophagus.  I viewed the lovely photos of the small diverticulosis and the hiatal hernia and while I won't be putting them in a photo album I did find them quite fascinating.

While we still don't know why I'm having the voiding (voiding is my new word instead of diarrhea, which makes people nervous) every morning we are attempting to fix it by trying several different methods over the next six weeks.  In the meantime my doctor handed me two sheets of paper on diets for diverticulosis and hiatal hernias.  I took them home and began reading the information determined to change my eating diets.  Only problem I found was the food I should be eating for the hiatal hernia is the same food I should be avoiding for the diverticulosis and vice versa.  A dilemma to say the least.

  • Hiatal hernia:  In the food group of breads, cereals and grains I should be eating whole grain foods, pastas, and crackers.  I should be avoiding granola, biscuits, muffins, pancakes, waffles, any foods prepared with cream, and cheese.  Diverticulosis:  In this food group it is pretty much the same in eating whole grain breads and cereals and avoiding breads with seeds (rye, sesame, poppy, sunflower).
  • Hiatal hernia:  In the fruit category I should be eating fresh, frozen, canned or dried but avoiding all citrus fruits and juices such as grapefruit, oranges, pineapples.  Diverticulosis:  In the fruit category here I should be eating high fiber foods such as oranges, grapefruit, apples, bananas, cherries, grapes, etc.
  • Hiatal hernia:  In the veggie group I am to eat fresh, frozen, canned or dried as well as all types of potatoes.  I should avoid tomatoes, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, garlic, cucumber and fried potatoes.  Diverticulosis:  I should eat broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, peas, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, baked beans, etc. and avoid tomato seeds, corn and popcorn.
Other things I am to avoid are fats, milkshakes, coffee, tea, caffeine, chocolate, fried meats, cheeses, lunch meat, gravy, cakes, pies, cookies, candy, doughnuts, ice cream, and anything that is delicious and fattening.

I'm given myself about three days without these foods before I loose my mind.  I'd have to make a chart to keep it all straight when I shopped at the grocery store.  As I really only have reflux once in awhile after eating certain foods I feel like I can keep that in check by avoiding those foods I know cause a problem.  But the diverticulosis is something that comes with age and wouldn't have even been diagnosed in the first place if I wasn't having the diarrhea voiding.  Sigh.  It is also the one with the biggest lists of no no foods.  The list of all the foods that normal people indulge in daily.  But I am determined to turn this around into something positive so....I'll let you know when I've discovered what that is!

    No comments: