Wednesday, August 04, 2010

The lab who put up with us

Years ago when Sharon and John first got little Jake, the lab, he was a tiny ball of energy that raced circles around my little Madison while she followed him on unsteady legs. She wasn't even a year yet. Jake was the first animal that Grandma Connie allowed inside her condo. Now, 13 years later he has slowed down somewhat, gone deaf, and doesn't care to circle anyone or anything unless food is involved. Didn't stop us from including him in our fun!



I swear this dog only went outside twice a day. Any time he barked I was worried he needed to get outside, but alas, it wasn't the case. He usually only barked when he thought someone was at the door, when he saw the lawn man outside, when things got a little out of hand, or when food was involved.
Food is major in Jake's life. The first night he just barked and barked as he watched us eat. I kept asking, "What does he want? What is he saying?" Sharon responded with, "Oh, hold on. Jake?" She listened to him bark and then turned to me, "He said he would really like it if you would share some of that delightful meal you are eating." I didn't so he later knocked over the trashcan and helped himself.

Every time I visit Sharon she has "fun and exciting" projects she needs done and "You are the one and only person I know that can do this job the way it needs to be done!" If I make a face then she changes tactic and tells me she isn't really sure that I'm up to the task and that it probably will be too hard. That one usually works in getting me going on task. This visit's project was cleaning out her teaching supply closet. After finding a few items that we didn't know where they belonged, Sharon found a place. Jake just took it in stride.

This is where Jake usually was found...on the floor. He would get up and attempt to follow Sharon anytime she moved, but as she moves 24/7 at the speed of a hurricane he usually got three steps before she was back again and he could plop back down.

A good dog.

No comments: