Wednesday, July 27, 2011

5 activities done while vacationing

1.  Eating - As previously posted this has been our number one activity.  I shall not lie...the whole thing is exhausting me and killing my figure.  I have only had one home cooked meal since arriving in this state, not including the delicious home cooked yummies from the reunion.  While staying in Evansville with my friend, Robin, her excuse was that it was too hot to turn on her stove or oven.  Susan's excuse is she is on vacation and she is already naming all the restaurants she needs to visit while in Florida next week. (Seriously, while blogging this Susan entered the room and wanted to know if I wanted to visit the Amish restaurant sometime)



2.  Cruising - A term used in my younger days when one drove certain areas to see and be seen.  In this context it means to travel places once traveled back in one's youth or to drive around to see an area.  Using the handy dandy Iphone GPS we have cruised quite a few towns from Dugger and Sullivan to Evansville.  Oh, the sites we have seen.

3.  Blueberry Picking - This was something I introduced two years ago while visiting Susan, and it is now a summer staple for her and the Gabs.  We headed out on a hot day during the hottest time of the day, but we caught a few breezes while out in the field.  We were assigned the spartan blueberry trees which were full of ripe, plumb delicious berries, and we picked until our bucket was full.  Now we just have to come up with some recipes to finish them off.




4.  Tour of Notre Dame University - This was a suggestion by my husband, and one I was interested in.  I researched and found us a free 90 minute 2 mile walking tour of the campus led by Troy, a red headed sophomore.  He walked us from one end of the campus to the other where we saw the the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, the Golden Dome, the Grotto, the Stadium, and Touchdown Jesus.  Ended in the bookstore where I didn't find any Pittsburgh Steelers goodies.




5.  TV/Movie Viewing - In Evansville my TV viewing was limited to hundreds of channels of infomercials on Direct TV.  Apparently when Robin's great deal with Direct TV ended she refused to pay their new fee and thus most of her channels were removed.  We watched bra infomercials, diet infomercials, exercise infomercials, etc.  She was a GMA watcher so every morning we had coffee with that crew while my sister-in-law is a Today Show viewer and we enjoy our coffee with that crew.  We saw the new Kevin James movie, Zookeeper, and rented two movies, Limitless & Lincoln Lawyer.  Most TV viewing in the evening in South Bend is controlled by my brother who is an avid channel surfer and by the end of the night my head is spinning.  When he retires for the night Madison and I enjoy Drew Carey's Improv show from Vegas or Whose Line Is It Anyway?

No comments: