Monday, July 04, 2011

Yearly breakfast at Wimbledon

I have written before about my love for watching tennis grand slams.  By far, my most favorite is Wimbledon.  I would give most anything to sit in center court and watch it live, preferably a match with my honey bunny favorite player, Roger Federer.  Unfortunately, he wasn't in the finals this year so I decided I would root for Rafael Nadal; the first time I have done so ever.  That didn't go well, I might add, however, below are some of the thoughts I had while watching the men's final and the men's double finals; highly skillful sports thoughts....

  1. Wow!  Look at the muscles in Rafa's arms and legs.  How come my legs don't look like that?  Well, obviously one has to play tennis daily to get those muscles so that would be the reason why my legs don't look like Nadal's.  Well, that and I'm female.  And Novak's legs and arms aren't shabby either.  Whew!
  2. Novak Djokovic must practice tennis outdoors in the sun because his tan is amazing.  Nadal either practices indoors or lathers up on the sunscreen.
  3. I much prefer the longer hair on Nadal then the bush that resides on Djokovic's head.  I think that is what first drew me to Roger Federer and Andre Agassi, that long hair.  But I love the shorter look on Roger and the bald look on Agassi now, but seriously what is that hair on Djokovic?  Not working for him.  I bet it feels really spiky if you touched it, and trust me, I would not want to even get that close.
  4. I love the seriousness of the ball girls and boys at Wimbledon.  They stand so straight with perfect posture that their parents probably yell at them about the rest of the year.  Look at them standing there with their arms spread out to the side, palms up.  And when they throw the ball with that perfectly straight arm, high in the air?  Kills me.  And how would you like the job of holding the sweaty towel that the the players use to wipe their bodies and face?  Ugh.  That thing has got to smell.
  5. Whoa!  Who is the black haired beauty in Nadal's box?  She is a knockout!
  6. Rafa has seriously got to have someone talk to him about his ritual.  Each time before he serves or receives he pulls his underwear out of his crotch and then puts his hair behind one ear and then the other.  John McEnroe has got to get him a complimentary pair of his new Bjorg "heart" McEnroe underwear.
  7. Novak's ritual is making me bonkers.  He bounces the ball and bounces the ball and bounces the ball over and over and over.  I've counted 25 times as the longest.  Wonder if that makes his opponent nuts?  It would me.
  8. Okay, it is exciting I guess that there is another men's tennis player that can beat Federer and Nadal, but his eyes are too close together and he needs to have someone unbutton that top button on his tennis shirt.  Relax, buddy, you're a champ now.
  9. He does have a sense of humor.  I loved when he took the microphone that wasn't working and banged it in his hand like he was adjusting his TV.  Must have some sense of humor despite the hair and button up tennis shirt.
  10. And I like his parents all weepy and excited in the box.  Nice looking Dad.  Oh, there is his little brother.  Whoa!  Now he got some of Dad's looks.  What a little heart breaker he is going to be.
  11. And speaking of the microphone...what was up with the poor sound system?  Unusual at Wimbledon.  The British aren't going to be happy about that!  Kudos to the interviewer who ended up using both microphones; the one that worked so the crowd could hear and the one that worked for the television audience.
  12. Lord, I love Johnny Mac!  He is by far the best in tennis off and on the court.  Love when he is calling the match and interviewing at the end.
  13. Those Bryan boys are smokin' hot!  And who doesn't love the chest bumps?  I might have to start paying closer attention to doubles.
  14. Nice piece by Mary Carillo on the 50th anniversary of Billie Jean King at Wimbledon.  Well done.  Brought back lots of memories.  Also enjoyed the live interview.  She looks great, but did Mary just say that King hasn't warmed up to Roger Federer?  Hmmmmm......

No comments: