Monday, July 18, 2011

Family reunion

Maddy - "It was very fun. My favorite thing was going on the hay ride, but we didn't know when we were going to get back, and it was hot and Darcy kept poking me. It was fun to see everything like the trees and pond and talking to everyone on the ride. I talked to Little Scott and Val and didn't know them until they reminded me about visiting us in Florida. Darrell kept pulling off the road and driving through the fields and everyone would freak out, but I think he did it to be funny. The pee limit was 25 on the road. Someone had scratched off the "s" and the "d". Darcy saw a sign up ahead and said it probably said, "no soliciting", and I said, "Really Darcy? Where would anyone solicit out here in the middle of the lakes and trees?" When we got closer it said, "dog running area, no hunting".

I liked going to the movie with Sheilah and her sister. They were really nice and talked to me. Aunt Lorene kept asking me how I was and how I enjoyed the food. She would also tell me her hip bothered her, and then later she would ask me this over and over, which I thought was funny."

Gabby - "My favorite thing about the reunion was being able to see Aunt Lorene and playing corn hole with all my cousins. The best corn hole player was Jason. Oh, and Big Scott. Darrell was the most interesting person to talk to. He asked about me and my life in school. I didn't really have a serious convo with anybody, but he asked the most personal questions.

I love Big Scott because he is always hugging you, and he is very loving. Aunt Lorene looked very well for her age because I've seen old people like on the street and in the nursing home who don't look as good as her.  I felt sad she was in a nursing home.  I was glad to go to the reunion so I could see everyone I love. 

The bugs weren't bad, and I didn't mind the heat because I would trade that over the bugs.  I loved going down to the pond and making an attempt to fish, and even though I didn't catch any fish I still think it's a great memory I'll have."


Darcy - "My favorite thing was probably seeing family and Aunt Lorene healthy and able to be there.  I liked talking to Darrell and Big Scott.  My favorite relatives are Darrell and Ryan (Ginger).  Gabby kept calling him Ronnie, and I told her he was a Ginger.  He didn't know what that was so I filled him in.  We called his girlfriend, The Girl, and she called us Nancy and Marge.  Her name was Tami.  Ryan was funny and whenever he would miss he would start to curse, and Gabby would "cha-ching" him.  Finally he said, "screw it" and he wasn't paying anything and then he just cursed the rest of the time.  I asked him and The Girl if they were planning on getting married, and she just burst out laughing. 

Darrell is funny and he treats you like...well he jokes around and messes with you, and he is funny.  I also liked Jenna because she likes to joke a lot about you and she gives lots of hugs, and she always sits down and talks to me.  I talked to Aunt Lorene, and when she cried I felt so bad for her.  It made me miss her, and I was sad I don't come down to see her more."

Susan - "My favorite thing was seeing Lorene.  She looked very good for a 96 year old woman.  I hope to live to see 96, but I'd have to take Shaklee.  I liked reconnecting with relatives.  Lack of communication in that famil surprised me.  We didn't even know Lorene had fallen and gotten hurt.  I was glad Austin made the effort to come to the reunion.  I was glad to see that as a young man family is important to him.  It was hot, and I wish they had it indoors....and I don't mean in the farmhouse....somewhere air conditioned and bug free."

Cara - "My favorite thing is all the good eating!  My relatives know how to cook.  It was taking a tad too long for grace to be said and the eating to start so I just took a fork and started sampling everything.  And Mike's corn...oh, my god, Mike's corn is to die for.  That corn literally melted in my mouth when I bit into it.  There wasn't any canteloupe so I just got more corn.  Lorene couldn't make her homemade noodles this year, but she did sort of give us the recipe, which I will certainly blog about. 

I didn't think the reunion lasted long this year.  It seemed like people left sooner.  I wanted to sit back and talk to people I only see once in a while, but the heat and other obligations drive people off.  It is interesting to see how everyone has changed through the year.  I can remember being the youngest, and now I'm one of those relatives the younger kids look at and wonder who that is. 

I enjoy seeing my children enjoy the farm.  They live in such a different environment, and I love that they can experience something new.  Susan always whines about ticks, but she brought some spray and didn't really whine as much about the ticks this year.  Then while I was sitting and talking to Aunt Lorene she spotted a tick crawling across the black tarp we were sitting on.  She actually picked up the tick on the end of her finger to show Darcy and Gabby.  I would never do that in a million years, and I'm now thinking that Susan isn't such the girlie-girlie chick she pretends to all of us.  I mean I've seen that woman change oil in a lawn mower and now pick up a tick.  She is my heroine, and I look at her through different eyes." 

No comments: