Friday, August 19, 2011

Dr. Mason-Boos is in the house!

A few years ago I made the comment that I thought scrubs looked like very comfortable things to wear around.  Living in Florida we are surrounded by people in scrubs, usually in some medical profession.  They wear them to the grocery, the mall, the gas station, and coming or going from work.  They have cartoon scrubs, and geometrical shape scrubs, and purple scrubs.  I thought they would be the perfect thing to wear instead of worrying every day whether my outfit matched.  Plus I figured if I wore them then everyone would assume I was an important physician.

Soon after I became friends with a respiratory therapist who always had scrubs in her car, but who didn't wear them around town, and who just shook her head at me wanting them. Not long after I went with her to the uniform store where she shopped for her scrubs, and I was shocked at how expensive those things were.  While she tried on different scrubs I wandered around the store choosing the ones that I would wear if I could afford them.  I did not purchase any, but every time I visited Connie to an from hospitals, nursing facilities, and rehab facilities, I talked about how I needed to get some scrubs.

About four months ago Connie gave me one of the two pairs of scrubs she has acquired from her various hospitalizations.  I decided to accept them and wear them around the house to try them out.  Turns out I was right.  They are the most comfy, loose fitting things I have put on besides pajamas.  They are too large for me, but I enjoy putting them on after a shower to just lounge around my house.  I wear them outside my house, but only in my neighborhood where I have informed my neighbors I am now a neurosurgeon having gone through years of school while they weren't paying attention. 

I love these scrubs so much I took them to Indiana with me when I went on vacation.  They saved my life in my brother's 60 degree basement where I lived.  Everyone took to calling me Dr. Mason (I'm still a Mason around my brother and the family) and when I would come upstairs in them after donning them I would announce that the doctor was done with surgery and was in the house. 

One night Kelly was over and she and Darcy decided we all needed to head out for a Walmart shopping trip.  I was in my scrubs lounging and so I told them to go ahead, but they insisted I come, and when I whined about having to change clothes they asked what happen to my wanting to be thought of as a doctor.  So I climbed into the car and went public in my scrubs.

As we crossed the parking lot I gave everyone a lecture about the lateness of the evening and how we were there for certain items and how I didn't want to spend hours browsing because I had had a long day of surgery.  The latter part was said as we entered the store and the greeter in a wheelchair asked me as I passed what hospital I worked at.  Without breaking my stride, I told him I worked at the first hospital that popped into my head, and I kept on walking.  He shouted after me that he knew all about hospitals having spent a lot of time in them and that he just knew I worked at one.  I wished him a lovely evening as I continued on, Darcy protesting all the way that I wasn't telling the truth.  When we got out of sight of the Walmart greeter I shushed her and told her it was just easier to not have to explain my whole scrub obsession to a stranger. 

And then I smiled because I knew people would assume I was a doctor in these things!  I obviously just have that presence.

1 comment:

K Anne said...

funny! You better hope that you don't get called on to do something outside of your area of expertise (neurosurgery, of course). but then again, is there anything outside your area of expertise???