Friday, January 24, 2014

This week's weird things

Each week weird things happen in my life.  Odd things.  Things that I can't explain.  I've decided to keep a list.  To share.

  1. Tuesday I went to to the voting poll to cast my ballot for the House of Representatives in the Republican primary.  As I drove into the parking space in the church parking lot, I noticed a sign directly in front of me that told me there was to be absolutely no distributing of material or attempts to seek votes at this polling site.  Duly noted, I thought to myself.  I turned to open my door and noticed an elderly man and woman in the car next to me, parked in an area that was not designated for parking.  The man in the passenger seat indicted that he wanted to speak to me and we rolled down our windows.  I thought he was going to tell me that I wasn't allowed to park in this space for some reason, but instead he smiled.  The woman in the driver's seat said, "He wants to give you something." Uh?  Ok?  The man took a flyer from his lap and reached his hand out his window.  I did the same, stretching to reach the flyer.  I thanked him.  He smiled.  I looked at the flyer.  It was advertising a former marine candidate who would Stop Obamacare!  I looked up at the sign that said no distributing of material or attempts to seek votes.  The sign that was directly in front of the elderly couple's car. Uh.  Hello?  I looked back at the couple.  The woman thanked me for voting.  The window went up and they drove away.  The candidate was not on that day's ballot.  Perhaps that is why they gave it to me?  
  2. We have in our area a walking/biking trail that goes from one end of our county to the other end.  The trail crosses various streets and I'm quite familiar with the ones that intersect the routes that I travel. Sometimes I come upon a street I'm not use to driving and I'm traveling faster then I should be when I come across the trail.  Traffic on the trail usually is suppose to stop while car traffic is suppose to slow down, but keep going.  Since my mother has been in rehab I have been traveling a road I very rarely use.  The other day I realized the trail crossed the road when I saw out of the corner of my eye two bikers coming down the trail; a man and a woman.  The man I could see was slowing down to perhaps stop as he saw me coming and was obviously a good biker in following the law.  His female companion saw me, didn't give a hoot, and I could see she was going to barrel right through the intersection.  I was traveling probably faster then I should have and had to brake hard to avoid a collision, despite the male biker putting his hand out to stop his companion.  She went right through as if it were her right without a thank you or a wave.  I stopped and allowed him to follow her.  He shook his head at her stupidity, waved at me, and rode after her.  Two days later as I was coming back from the rehab place, slower this time having learned, I saw two bikers coming down the trail and so I slowed even more.  I think it was the same two bikers as the man slowed, but the woman obviously planned on barreling once again through the stop sign.  Unfortunately she was behind him, and so when he stopped she had to slam on her brakes.  She was none to happy about it as she put her legs on the ground, and in the process of sniping at him she suddenly just tipped over and fell splat right on the ground.  It happened in a slow motion for me as I slowly went on over the trail and past them, and then I wondered if I should have stopped to assist as the man was just staring down at her, shaking his head.  By the time I wondered all of that I was too far down the road to lend a hand.  I haven't seen them since, but what are the chances?

1 comment:

Jay Brewer said...

I read this book awhile ago and it puts running into people and other things into perspective. Great read and learning the likelihood of things like this happening (the cyclists) is liberating mentally.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Think-About-Weird-Things/dp/007353577X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391174780&sr=8-2&keywords=how+to+think+about+weird+things